Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Ions and kiwi-strawberry Propel

Kinda weird topic I know. And after I finish what I'm going to say, I can guess what you'll say. Just because I remember the most peculiar random things a lot doesn't mean I'm living in the past. Actually I'm living in the present right now. And I'm not going to worry about tomorrow because Jesus says this: "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?" Matthew 6:23-27

So what's up with Ions and kiwi-strawberry Propel? Whenever I see an Ion, which is a type of car, or drink kiwi-strawberry Propel, which is flavored water in case you didn't know, memories start coming back to me.

About a month ago while driving home from my aunt's house, I saw a black Ion. This is gonna sound corny, but Ions hold a special place in my heart. Every Sunday to church, my old youth pastors used to drive their black Ion. I got to ride in it a few times. In the black Ion, you could easily get locked into the back seat, with how the doors worked and everything. I have some great memories from the backseat. One time, one of our youth pastor's shirts were in the back of the other youth pastor's car. By the way, these two youth pastors are a guy and a girl and now are happily married. At least I think it's happily. Haha, well anyways back to the story. Being the teenagers, my friend David and I are, we made a joke about it. Or at least I had to tell David about why it was funny. The saying goes kids in the backseat cause accidents; accidents in the backseat cause kids. That was definitely a fun, awkward ride home. It still makes me laugh thinking about it. After my youth pastors moved, I kept seeing Ions and even lately, I don't know why, but I have seen a ton. Like today for instance, when I was leaving the bank. I don't know what's up with that. I don't do this anymore, but whenever I used to see an Ion, I would get a sudden hope, hoping that in that car, were my youth pastors. Now occasionally when I see an Ion, it brings back memories.

There's something about kiwi-strawberry Propel water that I just love. I don't think it's the flavor or even the color of the bottle being pink, my favorite color. Like I said before, this flavor Propel brings back old memories of my old youth pastors. This particular flavor of Propel was the first flavor I ever had of Propel and this first experience with it was at the 30 Hour Famine, our first one. That was the one where my best friend and I went to bed early and in the morning, the boys were making a ruckus and decided to wake up the other girls with some of David's noisy balloons. The one where one of our youth pastors passed out while we were at Flint Eastside Mission. The one where that same youth pastor fooled us into thinking someone pulled the fire alarm, at least for a little bit. Yeah, fun times. Like Ions, kiwi-strawberry Propel also holds a special place in my heart.

A few weeks ago at youth group, our leader told us that if we didn't have someone we could trust to talk to about things that we don't want to talk to our parents about, that we should find someone. I was way ahead of that statement. I actually have three people I talk to about that kinda stuff. The initials of these three go LMB. You probably don't think that's as weird as I do. I'll explain in a second.

My three people are Lindsay, Matt, and Bethany. I actually didn't mean to put them in that order, but it just so happens, that's kinda what happened. I didn't realize until I actually thought about the order of the initials that, that is actually the full initials of one of those people. It's Lindsay's initials. Now you have to understand also, that Lindsay is not just a friend of mine, but she used to be one of my youth pastors. She was one of the ones I'm talking about with the Ions and Propel. I told her about it and she thought it was kinda weird too. She said maybe she's just meant to be in my life. Perhaps, you never know.

That's just as weird as how every couple of youth pastors' names we've had at my church. We had Beth and Andy, Chuck and Dana, Matt and Lindsay. Do you see a pattern? I thought it was weird too when I first realized it last year.

No comments: