Sunday, September 28, 2008

Wrong side of the Tracks

You know how some people say that they're from the wrong side of the tracks? I'm not from there, but I know people who are from there. And I'm not afraid to hang out with them.

I don't exactly remember what we were talking about in Sunday school, but I know it had something to do with noticing people we normally don't see. I've said this time and time again that I'm different. I don't hang out with the people my youth group hangs out with all the time. I hang out with those who come from mostly the wrong side of the tracks. There's this one girl in my English class, who comes from the wrong side of the tracks, but she was in my girl scout troop and she's one of my friends, so usually I choose to be partners with her because she gets me unlike most other people.

It's kinda strange how the people in my youth group have known me longer, but the friends I have at school actually understand me.

In a way, I did set myself up for this and there's no way of backing out now. I can't just drop these friends. We're a bunch of misfits and I'm ok with that.

In English we're reading The Canterbury Tales by Chaucer. Chaucer supposedly knows all about people. Maybe he did about people back then, but today is different. I'm kinda strange. I know when people are hurting. I know when to listen. I know when to not totally freak out. I just know how to deal with these people. I just get certain vibes from people when they need to be comforted even if they don't say anything.

In a way, I'm kinda like Jesus. He didn't hang out with the rich, popular people. He hung out with the prostitutes and people like some of my friends who come from the wrong side of the tracks.

At the end of the year last year, I received a note from my English teacher commenting on a video I made for her class giving a tour of my room. She said this: Your room is full of color, creativity and joy. I love your passion for life! You really do "walk the talk" -by that I mean your spiritual life emanates through you and how you relate to others. You are such a talented young lady and have so much going for you.

That's the jist of the note.

My Sunday school teacher wants us to try to notice the people who are really hurting inside this week that we've never noticed before. That shouldn't be too hard for me. I see these people everyday. I'm just trying to live my life like Jesus, following His footsteps.

No comments: