Monday, September 29, 2008

What's so good about prayer?

For some unknown reason, on August 14, 2008, I craved church really bad. I just really wanted to go right then. It could have been that I hadn't received an online devotion from the church all week. Maybe I just longed for the old days. I actually didn't know if Sunday would be a let down, but Sundays so much had been real spiritual let downs for me. All I really knew was that I craved church at that moment.

My friend Bethany felt the same way even though she's at her church practically 24/7. She told me that while I craved physical church, she was craving God. I didn't quite understand because she seems to be into God's Word and everything about God more so than I am. but she disagreed. She said she doesn't read it as often as I thought she did basically. She said something about me that I had been thinking about at the same time, but I wasn't looking at it very positively. She mentioned that my prayer life is more developed than hers. She said that she's more capable of praying for a ministry rather than for an individual person. I guess it could be that she can't do that very well because showing mercy isn't one of her spiritual gifts. I can't help it. I can pray for people, but I can't pray for things like the youth ministry. Bethany gave me a more positive outlook on my prayer life. When she first brought up my prayer life, I just shrugged to myself and thought that it's nothing special. I do it because I care about the welfare of others. I really don't like to brag about my prayer life. I've mentioned it at youth group a couple of times before, but that's because it went with the conversation. The reaction out of some adults to the teens about it is, "Hey you guys, Chelsea is praying for you. That's really nice of her." It's like the adults are telling the others in youth group that they should thank me. I really don't think I need to be thanked.. It will all pay off in the end, won't it? Plus, I just do it. I pray for others. No one forces me to; I just do it.

I guess prayer is my way of really connecting with God. That's actually how most people connect too. Sometimes it seems like all I do is talk and even when I write down the names my mind still drifts away from time to time. Should I just shut up and listen sometimes?

So what's so good about prayer anyways?

Did you know that prayer is a way of meditating? I find that praying really calms me down. That's what meditation is supposed to do; calm you down. By giving God your worries and doubts and fears, you are taking the stress out of your body. Ok, so it's a stress reliever.

Sometimes during the middle of a really stressful morning music rehearsal on Sundays, I want to just stop and ask if we can pray. I haven't yet because I'm afraid of rejection and afraid that I'll be asked to pray for the group. I'm not good at praying out loud. What I mean by this is that I don't like praying in groups or even with one other person. I feel kinda stupid with what I pray sometimes. I pray better on my own. I can say it out loud and not be afraid of what others will think of what I'm praying. I've just had bad experiences with praying out loud I guess. I think praying before we start music rehearsal might help us. A few times, we've had to be reminded that it's not the congregation we're playing for, but for God. So why do they argue? Good question, I'll let you know some other time if I figure it out.

And you know God does answer your prayers. He may not reveal himself right away, but he will come through. God answers prayers, so pray until something happens. And even after it happens, keep praying and praising God. If God is love and love never fails, then God never fails.

Out of 7 promises you can count on, I have 3 of them. Not because I wasn't listening to my youth pastor or because I wasn't there that week. Well it's more like the second reason. I was only there for a week. Why? I was on vacation visiting my friends, my old youth pastors. The three I have are:
  1. It's impossible for God to lie
  2. It's impossible for God to reject you
  3. It's impossible for God to leave you stranded
I was there for the third week. I wish I could have been there for the rest of the weeks because I love how this youth pastor presents his message. I just absorb it all. I miss my old youth pastors a lot and I'll never forget what they've taught me.

What does being stranded have to do with praying? A lot actually. After praying for some time, you might begin to wonder if God can really hear you. You might start doubting God. You might feel abandoned. You might feel like God has left you. But God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you." Hebrews 13:5b

God will never leave you. And if you believe that God will not leave you stranded, you can have:
  1. Comfort because God is with you
  2. Confidence because God loves you
  3. Trust in God's direction, because He is consistent
  4. Hope, because God is at work within you
One of my favorite things about my old youth pastor's lessons is that he always has applicable lessons. So we'll actually get something out of it. So we'll actually know what he's talking about because sometimes it can be pretty confusing.

What this means for your life:
  1. Stop looking to other things for comfort, and focus on God
  2. Take advantage of the boldness that you have in Christ
  3. Take risks
  4. Celebrate the process that God is working
So keep on praying and trusting in God. Trust is a must. He will never leave you stranded on a desert island. That's His promise to us.

Some things I pray about every night are:
  1. My brother and my cousin coming to Christ
  2. A new youth pastor for my church
  3. My future husband
  4. God's plan for my life, what I'm supposed to do
Has my brother and cousin come to or back to Christ? No. Have we gotten a new youth pastor yet? No. Have I met the love of my life yet? No, but he could be right under my nose. Do I know all of God's plan for my life just yet? Nope.

Do I keep praying? Yes. Why? What's the point? I have faith in God and know that He's working on something. When I'm down to nothing, He is surely up to something.

A couple months ago, I got confirmation that my prayers are being answered. I've been praying for my cousin to come back to Christ. It depresses me to see her in the state she's in and it worries me. I wrote a blog on Facebook about worry and tagged my cousin in it. Then I didn't want her to read it, which was a mistake. I get easily embarrassed and didn't want her to read it in front of me, which is what she almost did. Mistake there. So I wrote another blog about not being ashamed and let her read that one. She knows God is there and will take her back when she's ready to come back, but she doesn't think it's right for her just yet.

I have faith that my brother will find Christ someday. I have faith that the church will eventually get a new youth pastor. I have faith in the love story God has written for me and I'm just waiting to listen to the masterpiece that it is. I have faith that God will show me the way that He wants me to live.

So keep praying because God listens and will answer your prayers.

1 comment:

Dana Delynn said...

Wow you are a good writer and I love what you have to say about prayer. We learn these things all the time at church, but it's good to hear it stated differently and to be reminded about it. Thanks for visiting my blog, I'm glad I know of yours now and can start reading it!