Saturday, October 25, 2008

Could we all just...I don't know, grow up?

On December 16, 2006, so about two years ago, I wrote a blog about how much I'd changed over the past months. At the end of the blog I asked a few questions, but the one I'm asking today is when will my friends change too and be like me?

Ok that was like, what, two years ago. I'm gonna rant, yes, but I don't see the change. Three things about me I rant, I complain, and sometimes I can be pretty prejudice. I'm probably gonna use all three of these things as I rant and complain, but I'm not really being prejudice. Prejudice is what we need to discuss.

We're having a bonfire tonight in youth group that I actually need to leave for soon. My aunt suggested that I bring one of my friends with me, so I asked my friend this week and she said she probably had nothing better to do, so she's coming with me. Only a few people know she's coming and one of them is my best friend. I know she's not too happy with me about it. And honestly she and the rest of the youth group need to deal with it and get over themselves.

I should probably tell you what the big deal of all this is. My best friend has issues with this one friend of mine because of this friend's attitude. I've known this friend since middle school. Sure, that's not as long as I've known my best friend, but it's still a long time. My friend and I have this type of relationship where as much as we argue, we're still friends. We have our opposite weeks where she's good and I'm bad and vice versa, which is really cool. Actually the youth group also has problems. This one guy, I think he doesn't like my friend because my best friend doesn't like her. No one takes the chance of getting to know her. And no, I'm not dropping her as a friend no matter what my youth group thinks of her.

I am so tired of all this prejudice crap that I see in my youth group. I'm gonna be honest with you, I can prejudice too. In fact, I remember three years ago when my old youth pastors first started teaching, I hated their guts. I had no right to hate them. I didn't know them yet. Over the year and a half that they were with us, I got to know them better and actually liked having them around. I was sad to see them leave, but it was God's plan. I still talk to them all the time. We're really good friends now.

Last year, we had some new girls join the youth group. I got sucked into being prejudice with one of my guy friends. He thought one of them had a crush on him and didn't like that. Youth group...so the drama. Today, as annoying as one of them can be at times, I'm glad they're coming to youth group.

We can't just be stuck in a shell as the youth group we've always been. We need to grow at some point and if we don't the youth group will die. In five years, this youth group at this church could be dead. Maybe not the people, but the group might be. In ten years, it may be non-existent.

As I've said before I'm sick and tired of these prejudice attitudes. I've dealt with it and now everyone else needs to. Please, could we all just grow up?

Oh one more thing about growing up on a different level. On Wednesday, I was sitting by one of our newer girls and let me tell you, having cheat tabs is not always the best thing. I had my Bible with me, which has cheat tabs and this girl kept flipping my pages all over the place, so I couldn't get to the reading in time. You know even with cheat tabs, I don't flip my pages that fast anyways. Plus one of my tabs is ripping, which isn't good. After youth group, this girl and her sister were messing around "fighting" in the sanctuary. I just said to them, "Hey, guys, I'm sure that's appropriate in your own house, but this is God's house and I don't think He wants us to fight in here."

I remember being the same way. I used to get chased around the sanctuary by my friends and I remember the pastor telling me the same thing. It's God's house. Respect it. I'm glad I'm not that way anymore. I'm growing up.

I was talking to one of my old youth pastor's about all this the other day and she basically really kinda embarrassed me, but also made me feel good about myself. She was proud of me for standing up and telling those girls not to fight in God's house. This is one of the youth pastor's in particular that I was prejudice about. You know, I'm so thankful God threw these people into my life. They challenged me to reach for God on a personal level everyday. They've helped me so much throughout the last couple of years. I just can't stop saying thank you. Thank you God!

No comments: