Sunday, October 26, 2008

Practicing Self-Control

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. Against such things there is no law. Galatians 5:22-23

As I put emphasis on self-control right there, I am also thinking about my Fruits of the Spirit video where I hit my hand in order to show self-control.

When you think about self-control, what comes to your mind? Are you thinking about how much you eat? Or how about how much you spend going shopping?

When I think about self-control, I do think about these things. Often times I over eat. I know I'm a teenager and I'm still growing, but I shouldn't eat as much as I do. And also you never want to go shopping with me. I'm very careful with what I buy. I hate shopping actually. I just don't like spending my money.

I've decided to practice a little self-control this week. Somehow though, I wasn't thinking about what I'm about to say when I decided to do this. So here's my first real life application to this.

I went to the store the other day with my mom and saw this really cute purse and I was thinking that I really needed it. I told my best friend about it and funny thing is she bought the same purse when she was at the store yesterday. Now that doesn't really bother me. She felt really bad about it though. The purse is actually smaller than what I have now and as I was going to bed last night, I explained to myself (yes, I talk to myself) that the purse I have right now actually holds a lot of stuff and maybe I don't need another purse just yet. Today at church, my friends said I should buy the other purse, which is a different color. I fought it and argued with myself all during church and now I'm over it. My best friend asked if I was going to buy the purse and I said I was thinking about it. She told me to really think about it. I knew what she was saying: go buy the purse. So did I buy the purse? No, I haven't. I don't really want it anymore. As much as it's ebbing at me, I don't really need it. And now my friend is going to think it's her fault, but it's not. I just feel like practicing some self-control and I don't need to buy things that I don't need.

If you live in Michigan like the lower part where I do or you're from Michigan, then you'll know what was so big about yesterday. It was the big Michigan vs. Michigan State game. I'm not normally a sports fan, but I love to argue with my friends about which school is better. Usually Michigan wins, but yesterday Michigan State won. I know people who are really kinda mad, sad, etc. about this, but come on, it's just a game, right?

I know some people who might say that it's not just a game. Watching football might be their life. University of Michigan football might be their life. I'm a girl, so yes, I believe that it's just a game. I'm in marching band and I go to every stinking football game, which by the way, we won on Friday and I was hoping we would lose; I hate the game though. I just like to argue and pretend fight with friends as I said about which college team is better.

Last week, not knowing what had happened or what the score was, I asked my old youth pastor how Michigan had done (yes, I enjoy arguing with him about Michigan and Michigan State) and he told me to be quiet. I was asking a valid question. I just wanted to know. Yesterday after I got home from the youth group bonfire, my old youth pastor commented on my Facebook status, which said Go MSU! He said, don't talk to me. After watching MSU win, I was really happy, but now I'm over it because honestly it's just a game.

I did want to call a bunch of people after the game ended and brag and what not. But you know what? It's wrong to brag. I'm supposed to be writing a paper for National Honors Society if I so choose to join, but I can't stand bragging about myself. They want us to brag about ourselves and really sell out, but I just can't do it. I don't like bragging about myself.

If I have to "brag" about myself, I'll brag about the humiliations that make me like Jesus. 2 Corinthians 11:30 The Message

This is what the Lord says: "Let not the wise man boast of his wisdom or the strong man boast of his strength or the rich man boast of his riches, but let him who boasts boast about this: that he understands and knows me, that I am the Lord, who exercises kindness, justice and righteousness on earth, for in these I delight," declares the Lord. Jeremiah 9:23-24 NIV

If I'm gonna brag, I wanna brag about something worthy of being bragged about. My study Bible says that ultimately, only God and our knowledge of and love for him are worthwhile.

You know, Michigan State beating Michigan doesn't seem like something I should really brag to my old youth pastor about. I know he might be expecting me to do so, but I'm gonna try a little self-control on this one.

Come on guys, you know it's just a game and it's not the end of the world, so don't worry about it. And to my old youth pastor, as much as you call my favorite team a high school team, whatever I don't care. I'm not gonna be mean right back. I just enjoy jokingly arguing about it. As much as I was jumping off the walls last night and eating tons of cake thinking excitedly about my bragging rights, I've decided this isn't something worth bragging about after all. I'm over it.

No comments: