Saturday, October 4, 2008

Layers like an onion

This is probably another one of those really pointless blog posts, really there might be no point to it at all, but I digress.

I had to get up early this morning to go to market, ugh. I hate getting up early on Saturday mornings. It's because I'm a teenager and like to sleep. It's fall and it's getting to be really cold. So as I was getting ready, I was really layering on the clothes. I blame band on that. I know how to layer because I'm in a marching band in Michigan. Yeah it gets cold here, but not as cold as it does up up north in the upper peninsula. So I layered this morning and as I was walking up there, I was thinking about Shrek.

Ogres are like onions. They have lots of layers. Today, I was green, like Shrek and had on lots of layers. I'm like an onion. I had layers.

But you know in a way, we all have layers. I don't think Shrek was talking about layers of clothing when he was getting aggravated by Donkey's constant questions and comments on the way to Lord Farquaad's castle.

Shrek was talking about how he, as an ogre, has layers. I think what Shrek was trying to tell Donkey was that ogres have certain attitudes, views, and personalities.

Shrek: Ogres are like onions.
Donkey: They stink?
Shrek: Yes. No.
Donkey: Oh, they make you cry.
Shrek: No.
Donkey: Oh, you leave em out in the sun, they get all brown, start sproutin' little white hairs.
Shrek: NO. Layers. Onions have layers. Ogres have layers. Onions have layers. You get it? We both have layers.
[sighs]
Donkey: Oh, you both have layers. Oh. You know, not everybody like onions.

Donkey: You know what else everybody likes? Parfaits. Have you ever met a person, you say, "Let's get some parfait," they say, "Hell no, I don't like no parfait"? Parfaits are delicious.
Shrek: No! You dense, irritating, miniature beast of burden! Ogres are like onions! End of story. Bye-bye. See ya later.

Donkey: You're so wrapped up in layers onion boy, your afraid of your own feelings.
Shrek: Go away
Donkey: There you are doing it again, just like you did to Fiona, all she ever did was like you maybe even love you

We, as people, are much like ogres, don't you think. Not only do we layer our clothes, have layers of skin, but we also have different attitudes, views, and personalities that are sometimes shed. At the beginning, you see Shrek as a really mean, ugly ogre. But as time passes through the movie, you start to see a different side of Shrek. His mean side has shed and he has become a much nicer person, er, ogre.

Layers also remind me of a commercial. Have you seen the Above the Influence commercials? There's one in particular about a guy who has layers upon layers of shirts on at the beginning, but as the commercial progresses, he starts taking off those layers because he's tired of it. Here's the commercial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-MdkKMfS4k

Today, I'm shedding layers. Not just my clothes, but my attitudes have changed over recent years. Three songs come to mind in this one. Honestly, my life is full of music; I can apply a song to almost anything. That's kinda weird I know, but that's me for ya.

1. I'm Not Who I Was by Brandon Heath
2. Finding Who We Are by Kutless
3. When I'm Alone by Nevertheless

I'm not going to put the lyrics on here because this blog is long enough as it is, so instead I'm going to explain the songs and how they apply (always a good thing). By the by, I think you should definitely check these songs out because they've got some really good messages in them.

The first song is really one of my theme songs personally. I love it. It basically says some things I wish I could say to some people that have left my life. I once heard Brandon talking about this song. He found some old stuff and wishes that he could apologize to certain people. This song is basically a story he tells. I feel the same way. There are things in my life I certainly regret and feel bad about. I used to be so mean, but I've finally shed that layer.

Currently, I'm actually learning how to play Finding Who We Are on piano. I love it. It's a great song. What this song says to me is that we're living and moving in God's world. Not only that, but we're also finding who we are in Him. We're shedding layers and becoming more like God. Do you see Jesus in your mirror when you look at it?

The last song is one of the most recent songs I've started listening to. I believe the singer is trying to, like the song says, to find out who he is. There's no one around him. It reminds me of my best friend and I. She just went to college this year, so I'm not all alone, but sometimes I feel like I am. I don't think I'm that good of a leader and most of the time I follow others around. Now I'm just trying to find out who I am on my own.

So basically, I'm not who I was a few years ago, but I'm finding who I am in God, and in all this, I'm trying to find out who I am without help except from God. If that makes sense to you.

Wow, this blog really turned around. I love it when that happens.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You write very well.