Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Fruits of the Spirit

So the last few weeks, we've talked about etiquette as I've been saying in youth group. Did I mention the verse that was the main theme of the lessons? I don't know if I did or not, but it was Galatians 5:22-23. Better known to some of us as the Fruits of the Spirit.

Last week, I was really thinking about writing this blog about the fruits, but I didn't get to it, and ironically enough while I was thinking about it, God was working on someone's heart to mention it because one of the blogs I read has a Fruits of the Spirit series that she's doing. I think that's really cool.

I might have mentioned this before too, but our senior pastor wanted us to memorize that verse above and if we did, we would get a prize. If you know anything about me, you know I hate memorizing and especially Bible verses if I'm being bribed. I want to do something because I want to, not because I have to. Also if you know me, I play piccolo in my high school's marching band where we have to memorize all our music or else we get yelled at sometimes. Also I'm taking college prep English this year, so I have about 60 some roots memorized now. Something I don't exactly want to do, but probably should.

Anyways, I got kinda bored a few weeks ago, and remembering my webcam, I decided to make a video. My best friend had said that she had watched some of my videos recently and it made her miss me and everyone. She's at college about 3 hours or so from our town. I made a few funny videos, but then decided to try something.

Long story short, I made a video about the Fruits of the Spirit. I did it to prove to myself that I could do it and that I didn't need a prize. I hate getting bribed in youth group. Our senior pastor told me to just do it and I said make me because I really didn't want to. Needless to say, I still have the verse memorized and I've changed my mind about the whole memorizing thing. Anywho here's my video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDz_EOJ7qJY

I emailed it to my pastor who asked me if he could show it at youth group. I wasn't going to be there because I had marching band priorities. I got some comments on it. My idea was to make people laugh, which I think I did. But what I didn't plan on was making a big impact in my youth group. It's been maybe 2 or 3 weeks since they showed it and I've still got friends of mine talking about it. Self-control! Watch the video and you'll understand that part.

I'm thinking my next mission is to memorize 1 Corinthians 13:4-7.

You know thinking about top priorities and how memorizing Bible verses is not really a top one for me, I've got a few questions. But they're not my questions. My pastor's English teacher cousin emailed this to him and he emailed it to the youth group, but I thought it was interesting.

Cell phone vs. Bible

Ever wonder what would happen if we treated our Bible like we treat our cell phone?
What if we carried it around in our purses or pockets?
What if we flipped through it several times a day?
What if we turned back to go get it if we forgot it?
What if we used it to receive messages from the text?
What if we treated it like we couldn't live without it?
What if we gave it to Kids as gifts?
What if we used it when we traveled?
What if we used it in case of emergency?
This is something to make you go....hmm...where is my Bible?
Oh, and one more thing.
Unlike our cell phone, we don't have to worry about our Bible
being disconnected because Jesus already paid the bill.
Where are YOUR priorities?


What if we carried our Bible in our pocket or purse? You know, I have a few pocket Bibles and I
think it would be pretty funny if I had it in my pocket and it started beeping. My teachers have a
rule where if it's heard, you have to give it up and can't get it back til the end of the day at the
office. Can you imagine the look on their faces when I pull out a Bible instead of a phone. They
would probably think I'm crazy or something.

What if we turned back to go get it if we forgot it? I actually did that on Sunday. I can't stand going to
church without it. I got out to my car, turned it on, was looking at something, and realized that I didn't
have it, so I ran back in to get it.

What if we gave it as a gift to kids? Well I thought we already did that. I know I got my Bibles all as
gifts when I was a kid.

Where is my Bible? It's actually sitting on my bed unzipped because I was looking for something in it
a few minutes ago. Where is your Bible?

No comments: