Sunday, January 18, 2009

My Story of How God Found Me

We did this activity in Sunday school today. My Aunt Ann gave us a list of questions about how we came to be where we are currently basically. She wanted us to think about these questions and if we felt like it we could share them. I was the only one besides my aunt who shared, but don't worry that doesn't bother me. I like to talk and it really doesn't bother me anymore talking about my faith.
  1. I first came to know that I needed God when: That happened 9 years ago in 2000. My Aunt Ann wanted me to go to a VBS at her church. I didn't want to go, but she finally convinced me, so I went and I had a fantastic time. Even though she went out of town the rest of the week, I begged my parents to take me back. Not only do I write blogs, but I've been writing in journals since I was probably 8 years old. I love going back to these journals from time to time and the one journal entry that has really gotten me so many times is what I wrote about my first time at VBS at my aunt's church. I said that I had learned about Jesus and God and that I wanted to learn more about the Lord.
  2. The person, experience, sermon, song, or book that showed me how to come to Christ was: If only you knew how many people have helped me along the way. My Aunt Ann has always been a big encourager and has really influenced me. She first brought me to the church I go to. She took me on mission trips where I met awesome people and did some amazing work. But she's not the only one who has impacted me.
  3. The scripture that helped me most was: I don't really have a scripture. It's more like I have a lot of songs that help me and that describe where I once was.
  4. The person who cared enough about me to help me find Christ was: My aunt is a good answer to this. But there are so many. There is our friend Sarah, whose family has gone on a few mission trips with us. She was the one who helped me pray it.
  5. The events of the day when I was saved went like this: Well I don't really remember the day, but I remember the night. Sarah and her husband Roy were telling some of us girls who were staying the night at my aunt's house about Heaven and Hell and God. And it scared me. I decided that night that I needed to give my life to Christ because I didn't want to go spend eternity in Hell. So my cousin Stephanie went to get Sarah and we prayed. She was so giddy about that and so happy for me.
  6. My thoughts and feelings when I knew that I had been born again could best be described as: Perhaps they were like yay, I'm not going to Hell. I was happy about it, but nothing changed. Sure I was saved, but I just went back to my old habits. I've actually recommitted a lot. One time was the summer of 2006; I changed then and I thought maybe it was just because we had awesome youth pastors, but then last year, I lost it, which is something I greatly fear losing. Last year wasn't really a good year for me spiritually. Though over the summer, I think something changed in me again and I don't feel so lost anymore.
  7. The first person I told about my conversion was: Well there were other girls down there in the basement that night as I gave my life to Christ, so I'm not gonna say they were the first people to hear it because they saw it. The first person I told was my Aunt Ann on the way to church, but then I didn't want anyone from church knowing. Ask me now, I'm loud and proud. I love God! I like to strike up conversations about faith or hear conversations about it even though I know it makes some people uncomfortable. I like talking about my faith.
  8. Today, my love for Christ is: Indescribable, but growing. I can't really explain how much I love Christ and what he did for me and all of us, but I know it's growing and I hope it never stops growing.
Well there's my story. For those of you who read this and actually know who I am, maybe you learned something new about me. For those of you who read this and don't actually know me personally, I hope this was enlightening and that you learned a lot about me than you may have thought when you saw my pink girly background.

No comments: