Friday, January 23, 2009

Youth Group vs. Politics

Let me just say that this is not a good mix at all.

We were talking about complaining on Wednesday night and one of the middle school boys talked about how he complained about having to watch the inauguration during lunch on Tuesday at school. I could be complaining or not, but at least he didn't have to watch it twice back to back, plus I had to watch the end of the speech yesterday. So I actually had to watch it 3 times.

By this one middle schooler saying this, it set off a bomb in the youth group environment. Everyone started complaining and I just kept my mouth shut.

I'm not for Obama or against him really. I'm caught in the middle being a moderate and everything. What I don't understand is why my youth group hates him so much. I have friends in other youth groups in town who love Barack Obama.

Sure I don't agree with some of his policies, but he hasn't done anything to me to make me mad just yet.

Plus, I didn't vote for him. In fact, I didn't vote at all. Actually I don't think many people who come to youth group on Wednesdays voted at all. We're all kinda underage for that. Good rule of thumb here is what my economics teacher says, if you don't vote, you don't have the right to complain about it.

Maybe that's why I'm not really complaining about him right now. Besides, the ones who voted were not the only ones to make that choice to choose Obama for president. God had His say too. He knows what's best for us and I don't think we should complain about how He made the wrong choice. What do we know? We're humans; we may have eaten from the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil, but we don't actually know the best choice. We may think we do, but really we don't.

You can complain to God about not liking Obama, but I really wouldn't suggest complaining that God made the wrong choice. That just scares me to think about that.

At the end of youth group, one of the adults suggested that we pray for our new President Obama. I don't know if I was imagining it or if I heard some grumbles or bickering. God made this choice and He knows what's best. I agree that we should be praying for President Obama.

And if you didn't vote, then stop complaining. It's our civic duty to vote and if you didn't, then what right do you have to complain about it?

Trust in God. Our money does say, In God We Trust. Pray about it.

No comments: