Sunday, November 23, 2008

Angels We Have Heard on High

Angels we have on heard high
Sweetly singing ore the plains
And the mountains in reply
Echoing their joyous strains

Gloria in excelsis Deo
Gloria in excelsis Deo

Come to Bethlehem and see
Christ whose birth the angels sing
Come adore on bended knee
Christ the Lord the newborn King

Gloria in excelsis Deo
Gloria in excelsis Deo

See him in a manger laid
Whom the choirs of angels praise
Mary, Joseph, lend your aid
While our hearts in love we raise

Gloria in excelsis Deo
Gloria, in excelsis Deo
Gloria in excelsis Deo

Every year, this has been one of my favorite Christmas songs to sing. I like the speed of it and my favorite part is the chorus because it sounds like they're saying my name. At least that's what I've been saying the last couple of years and I even said it this year to my piano teacher/pastor already.

He gave me one of those looks when I told him the reason why I liked it. Just for that, I decided that I needed to go look up what the chorus meant.

Gloria in excelsis Deo means Glory be to God on high. I had never realized that. Did you know that? I'm glad I looked it up. This song now reminds me a lot of the songs we sing at Easter.

I do have a story about either a year ago or two years ago with my old youth pastors, Matt and Lindsay (told you I talk about them a lot), about this song. We were singing this song one Sunday and I told them that I liked it because it sounded like they were singing my name in the chorus. When we were singing it and got to the chorus, they looked my way and smiled at me.

I have new appreciation for this song.

No comments: