Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Makin' History

I absolutely hate politics. I know I should care more about it than I do, but I just hate everything about it. I know that the nation would be chaos without government though. I'm a senior in high school and so you probably know what class I'm in. Yep, government. My history teacher last year said that this would be a cool year for us because of the election. I don't like everything that goes on with elections. I'm glad the political ads are done for this year finally. It was annoying enough.

About a week ago, we took a political party test to see which we fit in with. I'm a hardcore moderate. I'm not leaning either way. But when we voted for presidents yesterday in class, I took the Republican side. To be completely honest, Obama scares me and I don't really trust him. Maybe you should be glad that I didn't get to vote this year because my birthday is next week. I missed it by a week. Darn, I was so sad...not.

But I'm not here to tell you about how much I hate politics. I'm tired of people telling me that Obama is making history. Yes, he's the 44th president and he's black. First this morning, my band teacher, who is a hardcore democrat (but we're not really supposed to know that), he told us that we should be amazed or something like that because Obama is making history. Then last hour of the day, my government teacher tells us the same thing. Oh my! We're witnessing history being made. I should be so amazed, right? I'm not and let me tell you why.

Obama, you may be making history right now, but so am I. Each and every one of us makes history every day of our lives. So I don't have tvs on me right now like Obama probably does. It doesn't matter. I'm still making history. How?

Do you write in journals? I do everyday and I love it. I have three main journals right now: my day to day journal, my prayer journal, and my dream journal (as in REM sleep dreams). I've been writing blogs since I was in 8th grade starting with my first ever blog on Xanga. However, I've been writing in journals for way longer. I've been writing in journals since about kindergarten or first grade. My very first diary was one with a lock and I used to write "Dear Diary" a lot. Journals? How are you making history with that?

Well, last year after our last youth pastors left, we got a new Sunday school teacher in the girls class who said we were going to start writing in journals about whatever we want because we're writing our life stories. Actually you know what? God has the story and this is how I see it: He's telling it through us and we're writing it down. It's kinda like the Bible, that's how I see it anyways. We've kinda slipped away from that in Sunday school though, which really bugs me because when we first started talking about it, I was all in. I was ready to write it all out. And while my fellow friends in that class really haven't engaged in it, I have. I love to write as you may be able to tell with this blog.

I'm hoping that someday I will be able to share my journals, life story, etc. with my children. That's one reason I love to write in journals. I know that one day someone else will read about my life. I also like to go back through blogs and journals to see how far I've come since then.

Have you listened to Matthew West's song History? It goes like this:

It's been a bad day
You've been looking back
And all you can see is everything you wish you could take back
All your mistakes
A world of regrets
All of those moments you would rather forget
I know it's hard to believe Let me refresh your memory

CHORUS
Yesterday is history And history is miles away
So, leave it all behind you
But let it always remind you of the day
The day that love made history

You know you can't stay right where you fell
The hardest part is forgiving yourself
But let's take a walk into today
And don't let your past get in the way

Would you believe that you are history in the making, in the making?
Every choice that you are making
Every step that you are taking
Every chain that you are breaking
History is in the making
Every word that you are saying
Every prayer that you are praying
Every chain that you are breaking
History is in the making
History is in the making
History is in the making

Matthew West is right. History is in the making. Don't worry about one bad day, it's history. One day shouldn't break you.

Jesus said, "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:34

I'm hoping to leave a legacy. Actually I know I'm leaving a legacy. In church, as much as I don't want it to be, my legacy I fear I'll leave is my flute playing. I like playing flute at church, it's a talent for God. I don't play because people like me to play on Sunday mornings and they all say they miss it, but do they not realize why I'm playing? Or who I'm playing for? It's not for them as pretty as it may sound, it's not for them. I play for God.

Sanctus Real sings this:

What will they say when I'm gone,
In words that are written in stone?
Under my name, what will they claim about me?

Oh, I want to leave a legacy to be remembered.
More than just a memory that fades away
Because we only, we only get one life

Free me, my hands are tied
I'm so tired of wasting time
These endless inventions
Steal my attention from real life
And when its done, when its over

Oh, I want to leave a legacy to be remembered
More than just a memory that fades away
Because we only, we only get one life

And will the world see Christ
When they look at my life?
Oh, will the world see?

Mmm, come on, give me, give me, give me real life
And no more, no more, no more wasting time
Because we only, we only get one life (Just one Life)

Oh, I want to leave a legacy to be remembered
More than just a memory that fades away
Because we only, (Get one shot, at this one life) We only (One moment in time)
Because we only, we only get one life

I want to leave a legacy and not a memory that fades away. I'm afraid playing the flute is just a memory that will fade from their minds once I move on. Honestly what will people see when they look at my life? What will they see when they look at my history? Will it be good? Or will it be bad? I don't know. I hope it's good. I don't want to remembered for something bad. You know what I would love to be remembered for (and forgive me for saying this, but the leadership book I just finished told me that I should tell people these kinds of things)? I want to be remembered for my humor; making people laugh and making them realize that life doesn't suck. I want them to feel the love of God. I want them to see Christ when they look at my life. I want to make people think deeper than they ever have. I want to change the lives of those reading this by what I write here. I want to be remembered for using my spiritual gifts to the best of my ability how ever God chooses to use me.

Yes, Obama, you just made history. But you're not the only one. Remember even we as people who aren't politicians and celebrities are making history. And remember that one day is no big deal, it will just be one bad day of history in your life. Out of the many days of your life I imagine there probably aren't that many bad days, which is a good thing. Don't worry so much about yesterday or tomorrow, listen to Jesus. You and I are making history today right now. What do you want to be remembered for?

No comments: