Thursday, February 19, 2009

Better things to do?

Ok, first of all I'm not mad at anyone in particular, so if you're reading this and thinking it's you, don't worry it's not meant to be targeted at anyone specific.

I was thinking today (totally dangerous I know, but dangerous is my middle name) about Wednesday night church. Most churches have youth group and kids programs on Wednesdays right? Some churches get a lot of kids on Wednesdays while others don't.

My question is what do teens really do on Wednesdays if they're not at youth group? I'm talking Christian teens here. I'm sorry to say this, but homework is such a lame excuse. I used that excuse a lot last year, so if you miss church because you're doing homework, I've been in the same boat. Actually last year I used physics as my excuse mostly and my AP classes as well. This year I'm making the effort to get to youth group on Wednesdays. It is my last year in youth group after all.

This might make you feel guilty, but what kind of message are sending to God by missing Wednesday night church?

Sure Wednesday isn't as important as Sundays, but still I have to ask that question.

I wasn't aware that there were better things to do on Wednesdays besides youth group. Is homework one of those things that is better than youth group? I hope not. I think I'd rather be at youth group than doing homework. Of course, youth group is more important to me than it is to some people.

Why do we go to youth group? Is it to hang out with friends? Is it to have fun? Is it to talk and learn more about God? If you answered yes to any of these questions than you are right. What do we call hanging out with our Christian friends? Fellowship. We're getting together regularly to hang out and encourage each other, which is good for us. The words youth group in my mind associate themselves with the word fun. Youth group is fun for the most part, but we can't forget about the serious times. We're not just there to have fun, we're going to learn about God and our relationships with Him. We're being challenged (or should be) to pursue a deeper relationship with God. Youth group is not all fun and games. It's serious too. Are you not going because of the serious aspect?

So what are you saying to God right now by not going? Are you telling God that your life is more important than His will for you? Are you telling God that academics is more important to you? What is more important to you, good grades or a strong relationship with your Creator?

I'd choose the relationship over the good grades any day. Grades are important to a certain extent, but they won't always matter. And this is coming from a mostly A student. Good grades are really not as important to me as my spiritual growth is.

Do you have better things to do with your time? Do you have more "important" things to get done? What are you telling God right now?

No comments: