Thursday, February 19, 2009

Why so prejudice?

I really have to ask myself this. Why am I so prejudice? I seem to have a really big problem with this.

It's usually a mistake when I'm this way. I judge people before I get to know them. Two people who are in my mind that I was really prejudice toward the first couple of times I was around them were my old youth pastors. When I first met them, I wasn't a very happy camper. I was tired of losing Sunday school teachers and then getting new teachers. This brings me back to this question though. When did Matt and Lindsay become more than just Sunday school teachers? I'm still tired of losing youth pastors and people. It stinks. I just wish someone would stay, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Anyways, after getting to know them, I was fine. And hey, I still talked to them all the time. As we all know by now, I go to visit them sometimes. Ok, it only happened twice, but still. But I got really, really close to them by the end of them being with my church. Why did I have to waste so much time being prejudice?

I can think of another example my prejudice ways. Last night at youth group, we were supposed to have guest speakers, but that didn't really happen because no one showed up. On Tuesday night, I got an email from my pastor telling the teens to bring a friend because we had a guest speaker coming to talk to us about making good choices and helping our friends do the same. Our guest speaker is from an organization that has just started this past fall I'll say (hey, they stole part of our half-time show on Friday night, but that's ok, I forgive them). It's called SRSLY. When I got the email, I will admit that I kinda laughed and had to ask, seriously?

I'm a senior. I've been getting the make good choices speech from my band teacher since I was a freshman. He always gives us a speech right before there's a dance. I'm kinda tired of hearing about making good choices. As the gym teacher in Mean Girls says, "Don't have sex. You'll get pregnant and die!"

From what I understand, this organization is more targeted at the adults or parents and their younger kids. They are just trying to make sure their kids don't get involved in drugs and destructive behavior. And I'm sure if they had started this program when I was a freshman, I would have participated, but as a senior, I find it to be a little silly to be telling us how to make good choices.

I didn't want to go to youth group last night, but I had to because of worship rehearsal. Actually I didn't really have to, but I chose to. So on my way, I decided to pray that God give me ears to listen and open my heart.

Youth group got canceled because 1. no one showed up and 2. a lot of people were sick. So there were 3 of us teens there yesterday and our guest speakers. They brought us green jello, which one of my friends was excited about because she loves the color green. We also talked to the speakers about their program/organization and they asked what we thought about it as seniors. I think we both (the two of us seniors that were there) were on the same terms that it seems to be more of a younger age group thing. I learned a few good facts along the way too. But other than that, I figured out that I had been completely wasting my time being prejudice once again. They were really nice people and it seems like a cool program/organization, but I'm not sure I would get involved with it now that I'm a senior.

I have got to leave the judging up to God.

God, please help me to stop being prejudice and help me leave the judging up to You because You're the Big Guy; You're the real Judge. Amen.

LGLG: Let Go, Let God.

No comments: