Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Saying goodbye is hard to do

So we left for D.C. some time after school on Thursday. I was so excited for school to finally end so we could leave. We were in Ohio when my mom hit something...big. We don't know what it was because she said she didn't see anything, but next thing I know, we're pulling off to the side of the Ohio Turnpike to find that we have a flat tire. We put on the spare, but only a few feet down the road, it shredded. So we called AAA and got a tow truck. That was a cramped ride and to think I had just been praying this wouldn't happen. Just my luck I guess. We stayed the night in Streetsboro, Ohio. Did I mention that the tow truck driver was super nice? Oh and the only thing going through my mind at the time of this situation was James 1:2. I knew that Bible study was there for some reason.

The next morning, we got up, got the car fixed up and were back on the road. Friday the 13th, what else could go wrong? Actually nothing did go wrong and I'm super thankful for that. We got to my Aunt Theresa's huge house around three. I'm not even kidding. Her house is probably triple the size of my church or maybe I'm just exaggerating. And she has a home theater in her basement. The TV is huge! Anyways, my old youth pastors as we all know them as Matt and Lindsay came over for dinner. Honestly, I was expecting it to go way worse than it did because my family can be pretty interesting. My Aunt Theresa tried to convince us to go to D.C. with them, but I have bad memories from over the summer, so I refused. Besides, aren't you supposed to relax on vacations.

I relaxed on Saturday. So you know how Saturday was Valentine's Day? It was also Singles Awareness Day. There is nothing wrong with that though and it actually brings a smile to my face just thinking about it. So relaxing on Saturday means that Lindsay and I just sat on the couch watching TV most of the day. Poor Matt had to go to work. I went to their teen Valentine's Day party on Saturday night, which was really fun. Unfortunately, I think I was having some anxiety over it because I had some bad dreams Friday night about meeting them. I guess it's just my fear of getting ignored or something like that. The party was really fun. And then there was the photo they decided to take of all the teens, which I got dragged into. I'm not even in their youth group though. The excuse I got, was that I was there that night, so I had to. Ok fine then. I see how it is. I feel so unloved. As Lindsay says, no you don't Chelsea. I don't. I just like to say that.

Poor Matt was outnumbered for the first time when there were three of us girls in the house. Well he still had his cat, Wesley. I don't understand how that cat can like him after he punts him across the room. Of course, that's like me dressing up my cats, so nevermind. It was cool hanging out with this other teen. But then I got asked the question I had been dreading. Are you happy they're moving back to Michigan? How do I answer a question like that without upsetting someone? It's hard. I'm split in the middle on that one. Yes, they'll be closer than 8 hours away. No, I know they're not coming back here and that sucks, but we can't afford a youth pastor right now. I feel kinda bad for these kids. They're dealing with a lot of the same feelings I had to deal with when Matt and Lindsay first left my church. It was sad, but I accepted the fact that it was God's call, not mine.

So on Sunday morning, the annoying, punted cat, Wesley woke us all up. He's a little freak of a cat. A little too hyper. He reminds me of my kitten Abby. She's a pain in the butt as well. Why is it everytime I go to their church, there are only a few teens in Sunday school. There were 4 of us. We talked about envy and how Matt is jealous of one of the girls' flip flops because he thought they would make him look hot. Haha. He was kidding of course.

I'm really used to how my church does worship in the morning, so visiting other churches can confuse me. It's just a different look at how other churches do their music. During the first song they did, I will admit I had a head bob going. I'm so used to playing that song in church on my flute and hearing the drums behind me. It was a vow renewal service, which was very interesting. I've never attended one of these before. It reminded me of The Princess Bride for unknown reasons. Wove, twue wove is what bwings us together. We watched part of Fireproof, which after looking it up a few times yesterday, I kinda want to see. After church, there was a reception and then we went out to lunch.

One thing I've forgotten about is how scary of a driver Matt is. He's not as bad as my Aunt Theresa's boyfriend Jim, but it's still scary. But he and Lindsay have been together for a long time kinda and he hasn't killed her yet, so no worries right? Uh huh, sure. I was also freaking out about Lindsay driving on Saturday as well. She promised to get me back to my mom in one piece though. At that, we joked about me coming back with no legs or something. Haha.

So I also showed Lindsay some of the youth group Twister videos. That was entertaining. Compromising situations and positions. Positions sounds so wrong though. So I think we need to call them interesting situations. Oh yeah and we talked about the dead dog in my freezer. One of their teens might remember me for talking about the dead dog I have in my freezer. Not my fault Michigan is so cold that when our dog died last month, we had to freeze him because the ground outside is frozen.

I hate saying goodbye. It sucks. I was not happy to leave. I feel sorry for the people who have to ride with me in the car after leaving from such a great weekend. I just get this attitude with them and I feel bad that I do this, but I can't help it. I don't like leaving. How come it was never hard to say goodbye to them when they were our youth pastors? I think we used to take a lot of things for granted and we still do.

So while in the car, my dad might not have meant to, but he kinda set me off. You have to understand that after such good days, I can get really depressed. He asked for my power cord, but I didn't give him the whole thing, so we kinda yelled at each other and then my Aunt Beth said in just one of those annoying parent-like tones (because she had teenage boys at one point) "teenagers" and that just really upset me. Let's just say it's a good thing I had a runny nose already.

But definitely saying goodbye to such great friends and such a great weekend is hard to do.

No comments: