Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Nostalgic anyone?

I get this way sometimes. Actually it usually happens on Saturdays or days when I spend most of the day in my room. Yesterday though was a Monday and I got the feeling of nostalgia. I wanted to look up a few things, so I went through some old blogs and some journals.

As I was reading through my Xanga, I was shocked to see how much I used to swear. I was shocked at how angry I used to be. Also when did Matt and Lindsay go from being just Sunday school teachers to youth pastors? Reading my Xanga made me speechless. I was changing a lot in 2006 yet I still had my difficulties with my language. I can't believe some of things I used to say. I look back at what I used to say and I have to laugh. I used to get upset over the stupidest things. I still have that problem from time to time, but I'm glad I have this site to go back to and laugh at.

I've also been thinking a lot about what I used to write on my Battlecry. In case you didn't know, that's another blog site I used to write on much like Xanga except it's a Christian website. It's just a blog site. I have noticed that while I was writing in both of them, I use different language. In Battlecry, I'm not as harsh, but for unknown reasons I felt like I could let out my anger a lot better on Xanga.

Toy Story | Feb 2 2007 5:07 PM

We all know the movie Toy Story, right? Woody basically gets thrown out of being the favorite toy. This seems to happen a lot as we grow up. We have toys that used to be our favorites and then we got new toys and threw the old toys to the back of our closets. I was thinking about this last night and I don't mean to be comparing youth pastors, pastors, or people in general to toys, but it almost seems as if the same thing happens with youth pastors who move away from your church.

So, you get the news that your youth pastors are being moved by God to go somewhere out of state and you're probably thinking, I'm going to miss them a lot. When they actually move, you really miss them for awhile and they come to visit once in awhile. Life goes on pretty much. And throughout the next couple of years, they quit coming up to visit so often and so you just kinda forget about them. And we don't just do this with youth pastors, we seem to do it with everybody almost.

When after highschool are we going to remember our past friends? I mean the friends that we just stopped hanging out with because we grew throughout high school and just stopped being friends. My friend and I were talking at lunch today about how after high school, we probably won't remember each other. And this person is in my youth group. Are we really going to split after high school?

I know people that used to be my friends, but aren't anymore. We just move on. I don't want to sound mean or anything, but my youth group has gone through about 3 or 4 couples of youth pastors. Each one has visited us, but after awhile, they stopped coming so often and it's just life. And my youth group is kinda going through a time right now when a youth pastor is leaving and I personally don't want to forget about these people, but in a year, I'm sorry to say, I'll probably have forgotten all about them. Okay, maybe a couple of years from now I'll have completely forgotten about them. And then in a couple of years, my youth group will be talking about our youth pastors and the ones that have passed before our current ones and we will remember then.

But do you see how this relates somewhat to old toys? I just thought I'd show this somewhat analogy to all.

I just wanted to add a note too. My aunt commented and reminded me of this thing too. I know I will never forget my aunt even though she has moved on because God was calling her, but I don't forget my aunts and uncles because they are family. And I know that I have a church family too, but sometimes you just forget those that have moved out of your church family.

As you might be able to tell, I wrote this 2 years ago and it has a lot to do with the changes I was about to go through. We were losing youth pastors.

I think I gotta give myself a pat on the back for this. Well not for this blog I had written. I have actually disproved this blog. Here's a comment from my Aunt Ann from another blog I wrote on Battlecry:

Matt and Lindsay will never forget you guys. Let's just work at keeping in touch with them. Maybe that is where we went wrong with the others....we never tried to stay connected. Friendship takes effort!

My Aunt Ann had a good point. Friendship does take effort. After they left, I did my best to keep in touch with them and you know what? It's been worth it. I haven't lost contact and I got to go visit them this past weekend. I still talk to a few of my old, old, old, old Sunday school teachers or youth group leaders occasionally, but not as often as I talk to Matt and Lindsay. Oh this brings me to the text message we got from them in Sunday School a week after saying goodbye to them 2 years ago. It said:

We love you guys; we'll miss you; and we'll never forget you.

Gee, looking at my journal from when I wrote that, I even thought it was bound to happen that they would forget about us. Why so negative? Have they forgotten? No.

Sorry, but I'm feeling very nostalgic. Something to learn about me is that I'm a very memory oriented person. I can remember the most random things. I also like remembering things. I do live in the present just to let you know. Sometimes though when I can't sleep, I think of a good memory and it usually puts me to sleep.

Want to know how nostalgic I get? Sometimes I wish I could get a bunch of elementary school friends together again to play our favorite bridge game: Alligator. Unfortunately, the bridge that we used to play on when we were younger is no longer there. Sometimes I just really long to go back to the good old days. Like when I was a kid in elementary school or when I was a freshman in high school. I actually wouldn't mind going back to being a freshman.

Man, I need a time machine.

No comments: