Monday, April 20, 2009

And she was all like...

I have a problem. That's the first step right? Admitting I have a problem. But I bet I'm probably not the only one who has this problem.

We were talking yesterday in Sunday school about how if I'm going to become an English teacher, I need to stop saying "like" all the time. Does anyone else have this problem?

By talking about the problem yesterday, we all tried not to use "like" unless we were saying that we actually liked something. It's really hard and I think we're so used to saying it that we just don't notice it. So all during church, I was working on not using that word.

It's a habit. And while it's not a really bad habit, it's still a habit.

We had a Sunday school teacher one time who actually tried to get us to stop using that word the wrong way, but as you can see that hasn't helped much. I still remember her trying to get us to stop though.

It's really easy to use the word "like" the wrong way. We use it to substitute things all the time. I was like that's totally crazy. She was all like crazy and stuff.

No, we need to stop substituting words. And I said that's totally crazy. She was acting really crazy and stuff. See? I know it's a lot more words to say or type, but it's better English. Sometimes though, it seems as if you'll say something the proper way, but it doesn't sound right to you if you don't use "like."

I'm challenging myself right now to not use "like" as much. I'm definitely a lot more conscious of how I use it since we were discussing it yesterday.

1 comment:

Pastor Bethany said...

I wouldn't worry about using the word "like" too much, and I'm not sure you're using the word like "incorrectly." Language changes with the passage of time... look at how the definition of the word "gay" has changed over the last century. First it meant happy, then it meant homosexual, now it often is another word for stupid or idiotic.