Sunday, April 12, 2009

The End of Another Lent (A Lenten Review)

Happy Easter! Merry Easter! However you say it. Feliz Easter! I don't know. I just thought I would add that one in.

Today was so busy once again. Church breakfast, choir during church, family festivities, etc. It was just so busy even though I didn't really do anything this afternoon, but I'm still so tired. One thing I don't like about Easter is that I always eat way too much. I think I need to go on a diet now. I'm so full from breakfast and dinner tonight. I think I may be in a food coma.

This morning I got up and went downstairs to find no Easter candy on the table. The answer I got later while leaving for church was that the Easter bunny couldn't come because there was no basket sitting on the table, so I got a basket and then the Easter bunny magically came while I was at church. It was amazing!

Ok, not really. I enjoy the Easter candy and stuff, but I feel like the Easter bunny has lost something with me like April Fools Day has. It's just not that special anymore. Easter still is a very special day though because He is risen! He is risen indeed! I really enjoy saying that.

Today marks the end of another Lent as we celebrate it anyways. I don't really want Lent to be over though. I gave up complaining about youth group. And I very well may be saying that Lent was my crutch, but I'm so afraid now that I'm gonna start complaining about youth group uncontrollably. I feel so free right now. That's not a good feeling.

It was my commitment and now my goal is to finish out the youth group year well and not complaining to anyone, but God because God is the only one that should really have to listen to our complaints. The other day my youth leader told me I could tell him my complaints about youth group and at the time I didn't have any. I still don't have any. I know that youth group could be better, but I'm content with where we are right now.

You know this could really be a lesson to us all that gave up stuff like complaining. Just because Lent is over doesn't mean you should quit what you've given up especially if what you gave up was a bad habit. We need to work on these things all the time.

We need to have some self-control and faith in ourselves that we can do it.

I think I only slipped up maybe twice during all of Lent. I was feeling jealous a few times of other youth groups and what they got to do versus what this youth group gets to do. I have come to realize that what other youth groups do don't matter. I can't judge them. God is supposed to be the judge. I love the youth group I go to. The people are amazing and we always have fun and they always cheer me up when I'm down. I hope to be able to continue my no complaining about youth group for the rest of the year.

And next year, if they're still dating, I hope to give up complaining about my brother and his girlfriend. I could give this up right now, but I don't think I have enough self-control to do that. And don't even get me started on them making out in my car while I was driving. Actually don't get me started at all. But it might not be so difficult next year when I'm away from home. Maybe I should try giving it up right now. I should just go up a level in not complaining apparently.

No comments: