Friday, April 10, 2009

Kill Jesus

Harsh words right? Would you expect to hear them from me? I'm the writer of this Jesus Loves You blog, so why would I dare say that? I wouldn't. I couldn't. I don't even like to think about those words. So why this title?

In my English class we just started reading a book called In The Lake of the Woods. It's by Tim O'Brien. Now if you're not familiar with this book, then let me tell you a little bit of what I have seen in it. There is a ton of swearing. Yesterday when my friend and I were looking for quotes, she quoted something with swearing in it and it made me cringe, so I asked her to change the word. Then the main character in the book once in a while gets really mad and what does he do? He says "Kill Jesus."

That makes me so mad! I can't stand him saying that. According to the book, he says it when he wants to kill something and since he can't kill anything, he just says those words. It drives me crazy! Can't stand reading those words. The swear words are bad enough.

But you know, this is the perfect week to start reading this book. Now why would I say that? What is today? Good Friday. I've been thinking about this phrase the main character has been saying (notice how I don't like writing it) all week.

Isn't it true that when Jesus was sentenced to be crucified that the people were shouting this phrase? Well, ok, they were shouting "Crucify him!" But crucifying someone is killing them by hanging them on a cross. The way they die is actually be suffocation. It is so painful for them to lift themselves up while nailed to the cross that they actually suffocate as their chest collapses.

On this day so long ago, Jesus was crucified, which is what everyone wanted even God. While the people all wanted him dead for the wrong reason, God had the plan. Jesus saved us from our sins on this day by doing God's will and dying for all of us.

This phrase "kill Jesus" upsets me. I know a lot of people who are upset by it actually. It just makes me so mad. You can really mess with me in a lot of different ways, but when you mess with my Jesus, something snaps in my brain. Jesus died to save us from our sins. You can't kill Jesus. He died for our sins, but rose again on the third day when we celebrate Easter. And Jesus has promised to come back again someday.

Though knowing God's plan all along from reading the Bible and agreeing with the plan and for the right reasons, could we join in on the shouts of crucify Jesus? The main character in this book I'm reading I know was saying those words for the wrong reason. Too much anger. I don't want to shout crucify Jesus. It's history and now we look forward to His coming again.

But also with this, I look forward to Sunday!

No comments: