Saturday, April 4, 2009

It must be April

I thought this around noon today. A siren went off in town. Sometimes I forget that our tornado warning siren goes off from April through September or October.

I actually argued with myself about it until I remembered April of my 7th grade year. We had some really stormy weather at the end of April that year. One night, my dad woke me up and told me to get to the basement. We had to stay down there for a while. Then the next day at school, I was in my second to last hour class taking a math test and it kept getting really dark out. At one point, the sky turned green and my teacher had to close the blinds so we would concentrate on the test. Then our principal came over the speaker and told us to get into the hall. We had to sit there in the hallway for a long time. It was scary especially when the power went out.

That was something I have never wanted to experience again. At least we only had to sit against the wall and lockers and not in that really uncomfortable position they make us do for the drills.

I'm glad we have this warning system that goes off on the first Saturday of every month throughout spring and summer. Can you imagine the chaos there might be if we didn't have this warning system? It definitely keeps us aware of the potential danger we could be in.

No comments: