Monday, April 20, 2009

School Shootings

Today marks a significant day in history. On this day in 1999, the Columbine shootings happened. That was 10 years ago.

10 years ago, I was 8 years old. I don't really remember this day and what I did on this day that time ago. I was just kinda clueless about everything that may have been happening. I felt the say way about 9/11.

But as I've gotten older, dates like today have become more important to me. They're a lot more sentimental to me than they used to be.

My school hasn't had any school shootings in recent years. We've come close to them though. For instance, in middle school, a boy a year behind me in school, threw an antique gun through one of the windows at the school. Back in the 90s, a teacher actually shot and killed the school superintendent and wounded two other people. He's now serving life in prison I believe. There have deaths from car accidents and suicides. There was a mercury spill when I was a sophomore. Oh yeah and a mental patient put us in lockdown on the first day of school this year.

I'm glad we haven't had any school shootings. They're really hard to deal with I imagine. I was reading last week about how the people who went to Columbine those years are still affected by it. It's really sad.

And apparently today is some drug day. I'm not sure what. I don't do drugs, so obviously I don't know what the day is all about, which is probably the best thing. Stay in school and stay drug free. I do get high occasionally, but I'm high on life, not drugs.

No comments: