Monday, June 22, 2009

Pesky Deer

I live in a small town. I don't live out in the country or as we should call it a rural area. Of course, my town isn't that big either. It's a small city (I hate calling it that). To me, it will probably always be known as the Village of Chelsea. It's small enough that almost everyone knows everyone else.

Well ok, that's more my mom. She knows just about everyone in this town because of our family flower business. We sell flowers from our house. My mom grows them right here in our basement and then out in the 4 greenhouses in the backyard.

Another thing we have in our backyard is woods. We live right in front of my town's hospital, which is surrounded by woods. There aren't a lot of wooded areas in town anymore because the town is building subdivisions and I find that to be really dumb with how the housing market is going right now. Plus it's destroying natural habitats.

The picture I have here was taken last year in the winter in my backyard. We have a deer problem. Of course, my mom has said we also have coyotes in the woods in the backyard. That's kinda scary. I took that picture because there were a lot of deer; more deer than I had seen before in the backyard. We haven't had that many this summer though.

One of my jobs here at the house is scaring away the deer. With a flower business, do you really think we'd want the deer to be that close? Come on, they walk through our greenhouses and pick and choose what they want to eat. There's something wrong there in my mind. We can't just close up our greenhouses every night in the summer because it gets too hot.

Whenever I see a deer wandering towards our greenhouses, I go out there usually taking one of my cats with me. I think my cat thinks he's a lion or much bigger cat than he is because he actually likes to stalk the deer.

The other night, I saw some deer out by a path we have that leads to the hospital. So I took my cat out there to go chase the deer. My cat was preoccupied with the birds though. So I took it upon myself to scare away the deer.

The deer in our neighborhood seem really tame because you can get pretty close to them, so I had to scare them a bit more. I raised my hands and chased them into the woods. Then I picked up my cat and headed back to the house. As I was walking, a lady who lives at the apartment building down the street got out of her chair and I'll say it the nice way, she told me to get my butt over there (that's not what she said at all, but I'm not gonna use her dirty profanity on my blog). I just ignored her and walked back to the house. I called my mom and told her what happened and she said the lady probably wasn't yelling at me.

So the next day, which I guess was Sunday, I got home from church and my parents both said to me that the lady was yelling at me. My good friend, adopted grandmother (she's actually my Aunt Beth's mother-in-law) who also lives at the apartment building came over to get some plants and I was talking to her about what happened. She said the lady over there is always in a bad mood and complains about everything. My neighbor thought that I had been on the property of the apartments when I was chasing the deer, but I wasn't. I even showed her where I was and she said that was fine and just ignore the lady next time.

Tonight there were three deer outside, so I walked back there and tried to scare them away. It took a few tries, but I got them into the woods. And hey the scary lady wasn't even out there tonight.

But I tell ya, the other day when she was yelling at me, I thought she was gonna come over to my house and yell at me. It scared me enough to want to lock all the doors since I was home alone, but I didn't.

No comments: