Monday, June 22, 2009

The Secret Life of the American Teenager

Around this time last year, this show was showing previews on tv a lot. It says in the picture that it premiered on July 1st, so yeah it had been showing the previews still.

When I first watched this show I was very attracted to it. Who wouldn't want to know about the secret life of the American teenager? Come on. I soon became addicted to it. I was craving it a lot. When the season ended in September (I think), I was sad and I didn't know what I would do without it.

One of my old youth pastors, Lindsay, and I would would talk about it all of Monday or Tuesday online (because they were living in Virginia at the time) and then we'd watch it whatever night it was, and then come back the next day and comment on everything. We kinda lost that after the first season ended.

This show is about a girl who gets pregnant at band camp by a guy who is known for sleeping around, but we find out later that this guy has had a pretty messed up life and has been in therapy for a while. The girl whose name is Amy decides to keep the baby, but struggles with whether or not to give it up for adoption. There are a lot of story lines going on in this show. There's the good Christian girl Grace, who is pure and hasn't had sex even though her also Christian boyfriend Jack kinda wants to. Then there's the guy from band camp, Ricky, who sleeps with this girl, Adrian, like all the time. Then of course, there's Ben, who is a virgin, but doesn't want to be and so his friends point him to Amy and he falls in love with her right away.

Lindsay and I were really excited when the second season came on because I remember complaining about wanting to watch The Secret Life, but it hadn't come on yet. Then the second season ended. If you ask me, these seasons seem really short. I don't know why that is. And the episodes of this show go really fast for me probably because I'm so into it.

I think the reason I'm so into this show is because I really enjoyed watching 7th Heaven for as long as it was on the air. Well the episodes I was able to watch of that show. The Secret Life of the American Teenager has the same creator I think as 7th Heaven. I also like that the show follows a bunch of different teens, but in the end these teens all kinda intertwine in each other's lives. It's a good show.

I've been asked a couple times why I like watching the show. It's a show about teenagers and I'm a teenager still. My high school has dealt with teen pregnancies before. When I was a junior in high school, there was at least one girl in each high school grade excluding freshman who was pregnant. And I believe each girl had the baby, but the only one I'm sure of that she kept the baby was the girl in my grade. I know all of them had the baby; I just don't know if they gave it up for adoption or not.

Anways, today there was an all day marathon of this show. Then tonight was the season premiere. I was really excited to see it finally.

I'm not gonna go into too much detail seeing as how I don't want to spoil it for everyone else, but tonight's episode was definitely a shocker. I almost think they put too much into the episode because it moved pretty fast. But still, I can't wait for next week's episode!

1 comment:

Chelsea said...

Hey Chelsea,
Why did you quit following my blog? Did I offend you in any way?
-Chelsea (from Club CHEA)