Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Wise words from my dad

My dad and I go on bike rides almost every night during the summer. We like the workout. I also like the talks we have. My dad and I have a history of late night talks in his den as well. We like to talk about life and stuff.

Tonight was no different. We talked about some things that have been going on with me particularly. You may or may not hear about the problems I've been dealing with lately. It's one of those things that if I'm gonna say it, I have a whole ranting lesson about it, so if I come up with a way to make that happen (it's already forming in my mind), I might just write it down because I believe it's something that needs to be addressed.

In talking about the problems I've been dealing this week, my dad and I started talking about certain traits that I have. The one that struck me the most is the one I fear I get in the most trouble with. It's the ability to stand up for those that are weak.

My dad said that he hopes I never lose this trait because it's a good trait to have. Since I have gone through high school and not lost this trait, he doesn't think I ever will.

I have gone through times in high school when I was really weak, but I didn't lose my trait for standing up for what's right. You know, what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger...or so I've heard.

There have been times when I've had a friend that no one wanted to hang out with, so I decided to hang out with them.

Ok, so I'm trying so hard not to go into my rant right now, but it's really difficult for me. I think I am what I am today because of past events. When I was younger and in elementary school, I was bullied. I had the popular kids bully me. They probably just wanted to make themselves feel better. But then I also had those kids who were supposedly my friends who teased me too. You'll probably hear all about my bullying rant later on.

My dad believes I'm this way because I have always had this mindset. And it's a good trait for a teacher to have. I've always thought this way. I can see the kids who are probably pushed around.

Don't lose this trait. It's a valuable trait to have. That's what my dad said to me.

1 comment:

Chelsea said...

That's really nice that you get to spend time together bike riding with your dad. I think he's right though. Your ability to stand up for what's right is a great Christian attribute. I can be like that sometimes, but other times I become afraid of what other people might think of me. I usually realize later that I should have spoken up no matter what they said or did. Great post, Chelsea!
-Chelsea