Sunday, August 23, 2009

Basement Bible Study

It could be a lot like the game Underground Church. Basement Bible Study. Fortunately it's nothing like what Underground Church talks about. It's just what it is. A basement Bible study.

This is gonna sound really bad, but today during the sermon, I had a flashback. Flashbacks aren't normally bad. The bad part of getting the flashback during the sermon is that I wasn't really paying attention to the sermon.

I flashed back today to a time that seems like it was a long time ago. Ok, it was a long time ago. It was about 8 or 9 years ago when I first started going to my church. At that time, we didn't have a solid church. A physical church. We had the people, but not the building.

At the time, we were meeting at one of the local retirement communities to have church. They have a nice chapel that they let us use. They also let us use a few rooms like conference rooms for Sunday school and such. I have a lot of good memories that are coming back due to talking about it.

My particular flashback flashes back to Sunday nights. We didn't meet in the retirement community's chapel for nightly services. Instead, we went to different homes of people who went to our church. We'd meet at our pastor's house or we'd meet at my Aunt Ann's house or wherever.

I guess I was probably thinking about this today because my Aunt Ann was preaching today. And well, the flashback I had was of Bible study in the basement of her old house.

You know with my friends and I going to college, I've also been thinking a lot about our old Bible quizzing days. We'd practice at one of my friends house. Good times with my friend Hannah reading the story of Jesus riding into town on a doinkey. There are a few other funny jokes about Bible quizzing, but I can't think of them at the moment. Thinking of these things kinda make me miss my friends a lot.

I have to wonder if my past Sunday school teachers feel old yet knowing that us kids they had 6 or 7 years ago are all grown up and going to college. I'll have to find out. I mean how young could they feel anyways? They may be a lot older than me, but I feel old knowing how far I've come and knowing how I old I am now.

No comments: