Thursday, August 6, 2009

Does length really matter?

When I was younger, I used to wear a watch. Not just any watch, it was a watch that was also a stopwatch and had an alarm on it and a light. Nowadays I just look at my cellphone to find the time.

Now you might find what I did with my stopwatch a little weird, but it's a fond memory in my mind. It brings me back to the time before we moved into our new church building. Back when we were still at the Chelsea Retirement Community (CRC) for church.

Uh oh. It has to do with church. Can you see where this is going?

I used to time my pastor's sermons. It was just something to do when I got bored and never really listened. Nowadays, I wish I would have listened. I love his sermons. He's really good with putting real life stories and experiences into them.

The funny thing about my timing his sermons was that I actually started telling him his times after the service. Eventually he just started asking me how long he talked for. It was a little joke we had.

Eventually my watches broke and I just stopped timing him. It was a phase I went through I guess.

I guess when I was younger, I got bored easily and wanted short sermons. I get that way nowadays as well. I like things to be short, simple, and to the point. Some are and some aren't.

I'll bet you wish my blogs were short, simple, and to the point, but they're not always. I can never get my words out it seems. It's something I struggle with especially when I decide to rant about something. Haha.

Does length really matter though?

I don't think length matters as much as quality does. Now I say that, yet my blogs are always really long. I just can't get my words out. I guess I just want to make sure my blogs hit the point. Ok, actually bash the point in the head and get it in there.

There are some Sundays that I leave the church thinking what was he even talking about? But then there are other Sundays when the stuff just sticks.

The sermon could be long or it could be short. It doesn't matter, but when it sticks, it sticks and that's a good thing.

No comments: