Saturday, August 29, 2009

Fair Parade 2009

I was very happy today that it didn't end up raining. It wasn't supposed to anyways. Soon after writing my blog this morning, my Aunt Ann picked me up to go ride up the street on the float to get it to the spot because the float had to be there at ten. Judging began at eleven.

We finished setting up. It ended up looking great. And in the sun, it was so incredibly shiny that it hurt my eyes. This was due to the aluminum foil we covered the float in. It was a space theme, so what do you expect? Our personal theme song of the float was Shine by Newsboys. Everyone riding the float had to have something with aluminum foil on it to wear. I had a makeshift spacesuit, but it wasn't made out of aluminum foil.

We ended up getting second place in the adult float contest, which is really good. We were all expecting just an honorable mention, but we got second place! It made us all really excited.

The parade was longer than it usually seems to be. We ran out of candy (go figure because that always happens), but at the end as always, the parade participants got ice cream bars.

At the end, we tore apart our whole float. That was fun. I guess while I was walking one of my friends to meet her mom, some kids on the float that won first place asked if they could have our robots and my aunt said yes.

Do you know what they did with these robots that we took the time to make? This kills me because I made a few of those robots and I wanted to keep one or two of them. They destroyed them. And to think that these kids were on another church's float. Who does that? How rude!

My dad said that when that float passed by, they people were handing out their yearly "heaven or hell" fliers and he refused to take it. That church I guess is the type to scare you into submission. The guy probably thought my dad was going to go to hell for that. Actually though, my dad is a priest. Yes, I said a priest in an Episcopal church, so he can be married and have kids.

Other than that little issue, the parade was fun. Some of the teens are already plotting next year's float.

No comments: