Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Do Not

I've been thinking about this for a few days. This idea, that is.

I was recently talking with a friend who was worried about me being friends with her. I'm not worried though. See, I have these other friends who aren't too fond of this girl. Oh geez, story of my life.

When haven't I had friends like this?

Though I must admit the other friend I have like this particular friend doesn't care what others think about her. This particular friend likes to change names. Throughout middle school, she was Kate. Then high school, she was Lexi. And now for college and probably the rest of her life, she'll be Kat. Whatever, she's weird like that. Maybe that's why we make such good friends. She and I both are pretty weird. Now I have another friend, actually a couple I know of who don't like her. Get over it! What do you want me to do? Just drop her as a friend? No can do. I won't do it. You can't make me.

There's a song I know of by John Reuben (he's somewhat of a Christian rapper, well kinda; he's a little like Toby Mac). It's called Do Not.

The other day I was listening to this song and decided to look up the lyrics.

The thing he repeats the most is Do not tell me what I can and cannot do when I rock. I liked that a lot. Just shows you can't boss him and his music around. I changed some words around for me when thinking about friends.

Do not tell me who I can and cannot hang out with.

My first friend I mentioned has nothing to worry about. I can be her friend if I want to and believe me I want to. My other friends just graduated with me and may think they're done with high school, but by acting like this and trying to tell me who I can and cannot hang with is just so high school. It's so juvenile. It's so immature.

I'm not too much into the whole idea of high school cliques. Stop trying to tell me who I can and cannot hang out with. I'm my own person. Plus I'm a big girl. I can take care of myself. If you don't like who I'm hanging out with, fine, I don't care. But don't you dare make fun of my friends behind their backs because that's not cool and that will probably make me doubt our friendship.

I have friends already who do that and it hurts when they make fun of one of my friends. I think it hurts because I've felt the teasing before. Don't do it. It may not hurt you right now, but it hurts others. Trust me I know.

It is true this saying. You can pick your nose; you can pick your friends, but you can't pick your friend's nose.

No comments: