Wednesday, July 8, 2009

One Small Fear

I just thought I'd share this one with you. I have a fear. Actually I have a lot of fears. I am not afraid to admit right now that I am afraid of the dark. Who knows what's out in the dark? I sometimes get really scared in the middle of the night when I hear something snap outside or hear something in my own bedroom that doesn't sound right. But that's not the fear I wanted to talk about.

You might find this to be rather silly and I will admit, it sorta is, but it's a fear of mine. I have a fear of swallowing pills. I'm always afraid I'll choke on it. Or it will get stuck.

For the longest time, I have either taken children's strength chewables (I have to take 4 of the chewable ibuprofen kind to feel better sometimes) or I'll get a liquid.

Right now I'm on a liquid medicine because I opted out of the pill I would have had to take. Now I have to take this liquid four times a day. It smells nice, but tastes revolting. Don't worry, I'm not sick or anything. But I might have to have a root canal. That's why I'm on this antibiotic, but I'm praying I don't have to get the root canal.

The other way of swallowing pills if I had to do it was to put the pill in applesauce or pudding. It really helped to not be able to see it. I would take big gulps of the applesauce or pudding, so I couldn't feel the pill.

Today I got another toothache. This is the tooth that I might have to get a root canal on. So I decided to take some ibuprofen. I have the kids stuff, but I thought maybe I should try the adult stuff. I asked my friend, Bethany, if I should be daring about the adult pills. She told me she's been taking the adult stuff since she was like 10. But then again, she knows how much I struggle with it.

I decided to take the adult stuff. We didn't have any pudding or applesauce, so I had to swallow it with water or pop. I chose the pop. I filled my mouth up with the pop (or soda, however you put it), popped the pill into my mouth, and swallowed.

As cheesy as it sounds, I was really proud of myself for doing it and hey I feel better too. I think I have slightly conquered this fear. I know it's all a psychological thing going that I have too. I fear my throat will close up and choke on it, but that didn't happen and I'm glad of that.

No comments: