Monday, July 6, 2009

VBS #1 Day 1

During the summer, I usually help with two Vacation Bible Schools (VBS). One is at my dad's church and the other is at my church. Yes, weird, my family is that. My mom is Catholic. My dad is becoming an Episcopal priest. I go to a Nazarene church. And my brother sleeps in on Sundays...most of the time. My dad's church is small, so he always needs help with different things like VBS.

This year, I'm on games. One problem I have with games is that these little kids don't seem to want to listen. They just want to run around and be crazy, but hey that's ok. We fuel them up with sugar during snack time and then hopefully wear them out playing a game. It's actually funny that I'm on games at my dad's church because I promised a friend at my church that I would help her with games. I just feel like little kids don't want to listen to me that much. Good thing I have some adults helping the kids.

Tonight was a nice night. We sang Father Abraham, which is what our lesson was about. The theme this year is something that has to do with going on a journey or a trip with God. It's all Old Testament stories because they didn't want to do anything New Testament. That might be weird I know because usually the last day of VBS everyone talks about Jesus and all that he does, but my dad's church is just a little different. Plus his VBS only goes until Thursday.

After the lesson and singing, we did a craft, which I've done before except I did it a little differently. My Aunt Ann, another pastor in the family, who goes to my church, was assigned to do crafts. She doesn't mind. She's a very creative person. Tonight we decorated little backpacks with craft spray paint. It's really cool. A few years ago, we did the same thing with shirts at my church's VBS.

I still have my shirt as do most of the teens that helped with it I think. We had a lot of fun with that. A couple of the guys taped some interesting things on our old youth pastor's shirt. Come to think of it, I think he might still have that shirt too. I haven't asked him about it lately though. He still has the neon green and hot pink socks we gave him for a wedding shower gift though, but that's a story for another time.

Ok, so here's how it works. You take some tape and make a cross on the bag or shirt. Then you use the craft spray paint and decorate the shirt or bag any way you want it. Later after it dries, you pull the tape off and you have a nice white cross on it. It comes out really cool in the end.

After the craft, we did games. We played Red Light, Green Light. I got them a few times saying red light first and then green light. Some of the little kids ran and had to start over. Then there was another boy who yelled yellow light. There's no yellow light in the game, but we decided there should be. We could all walk really slowly.

There was a snack, but then everyone wanted to play on the playground, so they did that for a while. Then went to peel off their cross tape, but I wanted to let mine dry all night because it was still very wet. Then back upstairs, they sang some more, but in the end they all just went back out and played on the playground some more. Oh we did pray. We got all the kids together to pray the Lord's Prayer all together before going back outside. Some of the kids knew it by heart, which was cool.

I look forward to what happens tomorrow and the rest of the week.

No comments: