Wednesday, July 15, 2009

That darn Christian music

When I was at Cedar Point on Monday, a few people told me that they hate Christian music. I don't remember how we got into that conversation, but we just started talking about music. I'm glad I took my mp3 player with me because in the car I was in, they played a lot of secular music I didn't particularly like.

I'm not dissing secular music at all. I used to listen to it too. I remember hearing a friend say that he had given up secular music for Lent and I thought that would be really hard to do. I don't know what got me listening to Christian music, but something did because 98% of the music I have on my mp3 player is Christian music. That was the last time I counted my songs though.

On Monday, I was also accused of only listening to gospel music. Yes, gospel music is Christian, but it's not the kind of Christian music I listen to. In fact, I don't really like gospel music. I'm not into the soul jiving stuff that you see in African American churches. But I don't have anything against it either. I'm just saying there's a difference between gospel and what I listen to.

I listen to alternative Christian contemporary like Mat Kearney; CCM like Michael W. Smith; Christian metal like Skillet; Christian rap/hip-hop like Toby Mac; Christian rock like Lifehouse; and alternative Christian punk like Switchfoot.

Now of those bands I listed off, there might be some you wouldn't assume to be Christian. In fact I know people who don't believe Switchfoot is Christian. We got into a discussion about that too. Apparently Relient K isn't Christian either.

But I appreciate these bands that a normal person sees as just regular secular music. I know people who aren't Christians who listen to Switchfoot and Relient K and they don't know that these bands are actually Christian. Yes, Relient K is definitely Christian.

I have to sometimes wonder how people can listen to what they listen to. I have been listening to Christian music for a few years now and I love it. I can't get enough of it. I'm always looking for new songs and new bands to listen to. I love praising God.

But at the same time, I bet people wonder how I can listen to this Christian music. What's so great about it anyways? It's a form of worship. I can't help it. I'm a Jesus Freak. You DC Talk might have been what got me started with Christian music. Love them!

No comments: