Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Not one of them anymore

I came to a sad realization yesterday while traveling to Cedar Point. I was in a car with two chaperones and only one of the teens. It was because her mom was driving. I don't blame her. I think I'd ride with my mom too if my mom was the driver.

Frankly, it kinda stunk being where I was. At least it was quiet and I could read in peace, but that kinda makes me feel old. I am old though. I am 18. I was the oldest teen to go on that trip. Actually this past year, I was the oldest teen in the youth group by a month and twelve days.

I have fun when I go to Cedar Point no matter who I'm with, but yesterday I just didn't feel like I really fit in. Most of the teens that went were in middle school or early high school. I didn't really fit in. And that stunk.

I have come to the realization that I'm not one of them anymore. I knew it was coming. So many people have told me to move on. It's called I need to move on without everyone else telling me to move on. I'm getting there. I'm starting to think anyways that I don't want to be one of them anymore.

I love my youth group a lot, but I think I can do without the immaturity of the group. I'm starting to realize how much I would rather hang out with people my own age group. I'm really starting to look forward to getting into a college group.

But at the same time, I'm still a little sad to leave my youth group days behind. Not like I have a choice though. Who wants to go to Neverland with me? Just kidding.

Change is inevitable. It's gonna happen whether you like it or not. I never have dealt with it that easily, but I'm slowly getting over the pain of leaving high school and youth group. I do have the rest of the summer with youth group, but actually technically I'm out already. How sad.

I really hope my church gets a college group started because a lot of young adults don't come back to church after high school because there's nothing for them. I'll still go to church, but I'd like to belong to a group that can relate to me. No offense older adults.

No comments: