Sunday, December 21, 2008

The Christmas Story

Twas the night before Christmas and all through the house not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse.

No.

I want an official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle! No, you'll shoot your eye out.

No, no, no.

When someone mentions the Christmas story, what do you think about? Do you think about the book or the movie of the two above? I'm familiar with them, but I don't call them The Christmas Story. This is the story of the reason for the season:

In those days Caesar Augustus issued a decree that a census should be taken of the entire Roman world. "This was the first census that took place while Quirinius was governor of Syria.) And everyone went to his own town to register.
So Joseph also went up from the town of Nazareth in Galilee to Judea, to Bethlehem the town of David, because he belonged to the house and line of David. He went there to register with Mary, who was pledged to be married to him and was expecting a child. While they were there, the time came for the baby to be born, and she gave birth to her firstborn, a son. She wrapped him in cloths and placed him in a manger, because there was no room for them in the inn.

Yes, Jesus is definitely the reason for this season. By the way, this came out the gospel of Luke.

This is the story we read around one of the Christmas trees in the sanctuary during youth group on Wednesday. It really set the mood with the dimmed lights and only the glow of the Christmas tree. We read one verse per person a couple of times to read through the whole story.

You know how I was talking about O Holy Night? Well, I've now got one reason why it's one of my favorite songs and the favorite for this year. I'm changing. I've been changing since the Christmas of 2006. I'm just not the same anymore. And every year, I keep getting more and more sentimental. Presents are great, but I know they're just an added part of Christmas. Jesus is the reason we celebrate. It's his birthday. It is Christmas. Jesus has his name in the holiday.

When we read the Christmas story in youth group, I could feel the tears welling up. I think about Jesus being born in a manger and two songs with that. I think about Welcome To Our World by Michael W. Smith and While You Were Sleeping by Casting Crowns. Both are great songs, and I would encourage you to listen to them.

Hope that you don't mind our manger
How I wish we would have known
But long awaited holy stranger
Make yourself at home
Please make yourself at home

This is from Welcome To Our World. We sang this at church today. I'm kinda sad that we didn't know then that it was Jesus and we made him sleep in a manger. It's as if we didn't have room for him.

Oh little town of Bethlehem
Looks like another silent night
Above your deep and dreamless sleep
A giant star lights up the sky
And while you're lying in the dark
There shines an everlasting light
For the King has left His throne
And is sleeping in a manger tonight

Oh Bethlehem, what you have missed while you were sleeping
For God became a man
And stepped into your world today
Oh Bethlehem, you will go down in history
As a city with no room for it's King
While you were sleeping
While you were sleeping

This is While You Were Sleeping. This song almost has me crying right now. It's so pretty yet so sad. At the end of this song, they also talk about the United States. Are we gonna go down as a nation with no room for it's King as Bethlehem and Jerusalem have? I don't want to go down like that. I can't find the lyrics to the newer version of this song in Casting Crowns' newest Christmas album, but at one point it gives me shivers up my spine. And it kinda makes me sad.

Mary shivers in the cold trying to keep the Savior warm.

That's what I just got from the song. I can just imagine that. I can see a picture of Mary holding baby Jesus trying desperately to keep him warm in my mind. It's not the usual pictures you see of the Nativity of Jesus in the manger.

This year means a lot more to me than most other years have. Two years ago in 2006, I was just wondering where Christmas was because it didn't feel like Christmas to me. I still can't believe how fast this year has gone for me. I can't believe Christmas Eve is on Wednesday. I have so much to do before then. This year is just definitely different to me. I feel like Jesus means a lot more to me than he ever has.

And I'm so very thankful for Jesus giving up his place in Heaven for even just a short time to come save us from sin and to come as a baby. To even come as a human. To live among us. It just really amazes me. Thank You God for sending Jesus for everyone.

No comments: