Sunday, December 21, 2008

I Want to Be an Angel

You know, the ones with the halos, the wings, the ones that glow and wear white gowns, the ones that you'll probably see when you die.

No, get that image out of your head. No Precious Moments images.

Today was all about angels. We sang Angels We Have Heard on High (a personal favorite of mine, not because of the name thing again); Hark, the Herald Angels Sing (hark means listen, have your parents ever said that to you?); and Angels, from the Realms of Glory (this is pretty song). See? I told you we were talking about angels.

The sermon scripture I'm not going to type on here because it just encourages you I hope to go look it up in your Bible, but it's Luke 1:26-38.

I will tell you that it's about Gabriel's visit to Mary. Have you ever noticed that whenever an angel visits someone in the Bible, that they tell the person to not be afraid? Who wouldn't be afraid? If I had an experience like Mary's, I would probably freak out, maybe even wet my pants.

Did you know that "aggelos" means messenger, (one who) brings tidings? I just learned that today. It's an angel. Did you know we can all be angels? No, not the ones with halos and white gowns again. Hebrews 13:2 says this:

Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by doing so some people have entertained angels without knowing it.

This reminds me of a song. Everything if you haven't noticed yet reminds me of music. This reminds me of the song Entertaining Angels by Newsboys. Here's their music video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4VFEwYHZiU

You never know when you might be entertaining an angel. And you also never know when you might be taking care of Jesus.

I think I want to be an angel. I think I want to be a messenger. I want to bring people messages by the sometimes small things I do. Whether it's by the movies I make, making fun of myself (I now have a fanpage group on Facebook that I just found out about yesterday, which really weirded me out) or helping people when they need it, I want to be an angel. One major difference between us and angels is something Steven Curtis Chapman has said:

"They'll tell me about Creation and I'll tell them the story of grace...I know things the angels only wish they knew."

We can be angels or messengers, but we know more than the angels up above will ever know. My advice to you today, is to go out into this world to spread the message any way you can.

No comments: