Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Worshiping idols

What is one movie that came out recently that everyone has been anticipating? Do you know it? Was it The Boy in the Striped Pajamas? No, I don't think it was that one. Was it Four Christmases? Maybe it could have been, but that's still not the one I'm thinking about. Think about it.

You old people (I don't call you adults because I'm considered an adult now), what is the movie teen girls have been fantasizing about for the longest time? No, it's not Harry Potter 6 either. Do you know what I'm talking about? I think we need to be on the same page in order to understand this blog. Maybe you've been saying you knew it all along even though I haven't given the answer yet.

If you've been saying that, did you guess Twilight? Because if you did, you got it right. I've heard good reviews and bad reviews on this movie. I, myself, have not seen the movie or read the books. Most of my friends, however, are in love Edward Cullen. I guess when I get around to it, maybe I'll read the book, but I don't want to be all psycho like everyone else right now.

No, I'm not afraid that I'll do what everyone else is, but rather I just want things to die down before I read it. I also just don't want to get mixed up in that worshiping of idols.

Oh my, did I just go there? Yes, I did. I'm not saying everyone's doing it, but I know a lot of people who seem to be worshiping a fictional character and/or book.

I have an application on my Facebook called Pieces of Flair and almost everything on Flair right now is about Twilight. And actually it has been like this for a few months now. I'm kinda tired of it. I haven't even read the book and I know all this information about it. People seem to be obsessed with it. I wish they were obsessed with God.

Leviticus 26:1 says this: "'Do not make idols or set up an image or a sacred stone for yourselves, and do not place a carved stone in your land to bow down before it. I am the Lord your God.'"

I wish these people were worshiping God. Unfortunately they're not. I'm not saying Twilight is the only idol problem we have in this society. Do you know how many people practically worship Harry Potter or even anime? How about the millions of people, mostly teens, who waste time on Facebook?

I'm not saying I'm perfect because have you met me? I'm not perfect. No one is perfect. In fact, I'm far from perfect. I will admit that I am pretty into Facebook. I procrastinate a lot on Facebook even though I could be doing better things like getting into the Word. I shouldn't, but I do.

Edward Cullen. You may think he's perfect, but he's not. He's fictional. God is real. God is perfect. Would you rather worship a fictional character or God? I choose God. You can't get much from a fictional character except fantasies, which you shouldn't be thinking about to begin with.

No comments: