Monday, December 15, 2008

Xmas

Come and get me Christmas linebacker. I'm so scared. I said Xmas. Ooh that's such a bad thing. You're probably wondering what I'm talking about. Let me explain.

I was watching a video today called Christmas Linebacker on a youth group video. I agreed with most of the stuff the guy talked about with Christmas being about Christ and not presents, but I didn't really agree with why he was tackling the people.

Sure, they had presents in hand and were shopping, but they weren't doing anything wrong by wearing shirts that said "Merry Xmas."

Last week my youth group took a Christmas quiz before we got into our lesson. You may have read about that already with the mistletoe question. But this time, I've got a different question that was asked on the quiz.

11. The spelling of Christmas as "Xmas" resulted from what?
a. Literacy rates in the U.S. dropping so low that people have difficulty spelling words over 6 letters long
b. Attempts to take Christ out of Christmas
c. The Greek word for Christ
d. X represents the cross on which Christ was crucified
e. The TV show Futurama

What do you think the answer is. Last week, I didn't know any better and so I chose b. Attempts to take Christ out of Christmas. Is that what you were thinking? It seems logical enough, but no, that's not the right answer.

The correct answer is actually c. The Greek word for Christ.

Xmas is just an abbreviation people use. Sometimes we're too lazy to write out the whole word. Admit you, you use abbreviations all the time especially when taking notes. If you won't admit to it, then I will. I like to abbreviate, but sometimes going back to what I abbreviated can be confusing.

I'm glad we all know what Xmas is; it's Christmas. If we didn't all know, this time of year might be very confusing. Oh hey, what is this holiday people are talking about, something about Xmas? Yep, same thing as Christmas. Remember Jesus is the reason for the season.

Oh yeah and feel free to check out the Christmas Linebacker right here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6dSMq3M1oQ

No comments: