Monday, December 1, 2008

Needs vs. Wants

Today I started a whole lot of new classes. Well 3 new classes to be exact. One of them I hate, one I am totally scarred from, and the other I found something very interesting in today. It was economics. I have the same teacher I had for government last trimester, so it should prove to be a very interesting, fun class because this teacher is very funny in my opinion.

So what's so great about economics? Well I'm not really sure, but the activity he had us do today proved very interesting. He asked to stand up when we had something that he mentioned.

How many of you have a cell phone? Almost everyone in class stood up. Stay standing if you have an ipod or some sort of mp3 player. Almost everyone stayed standing. Stay standing if you own more than one video game system. Once again just about everyone stayed standing.

We were talking about wants and needs today. Do we need all this stuff? No, but do we want it? Yes and that's why we get it.

Think about the kids in Russia up north near Siberia. Those kids scrounge around in landfills for food. They live underground where there are pipes that never freeze because they're carrying something warm (I can't remember what it was though). These kids need food. They don't worry about getting texted or worry about getting home in time to watch their favorite show. They don't have a home to go to in most cases.

Americans are incredibly lucky in a way, but we take too much advantage of it sometimes. We complain about our food, our toys, and our clothes. What I'm usually telling the cats when they complain about the food that is in their dish is something I learned probably from A Christmas story except I change it around. There are starving people in China. Well I tell the cats that there are starving cats in China. Little do they know though, people in China are probably eating cats for all we know. Hey, they eat dogs in other countries. Disgusting to me, but not to them. In truth there are starving people all over the world.

Sure America has homeless people, but there are homeless people all over the world that need help. We as Americans should not complain about what we do or don't have, but rather give thanks. It could be worse, much worse.

I might sound a little selfish right there, but believe me I'm not trying to be. In fact, I think we should help the less fortunate. We should be sending Crisis Care Kits to countries in need and praying for those less fortunate in other countries and even in this country.

No comments: