Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Remembering the sad things of Christmas

You know I don't have all good memories of Christmases past. I have some pretty sad ones too.

One year I didn't get a lot of stuff from my family, which kinda upset me. I guess I had expected more.

Ok, so I'm not really talking present wise here, but I do have some sad memories that I feel like sharing.

One year around Christmas, my mom's cat, Oliver, got really sick. It was a Saturday night and he didn't want to do anything. He was just lying there. We called the vet and they told my parents to bring him in, in the morning. While I went to church the next morning, my parents took Oliver to the vet. I distinctly remember this because that was the weekend of our Christmas program that my parents were coming to. I remember helping with offertory and seeing my mom crying. We had to put Oliver to sleep because he was so sick.

Tonight, I got to see all of my cousins on my mom's side. One of my cousin's, Courtney, is pregnant with her first child. I saw her talking to my Aunt Beth before she left and I think I saw a few tears. You see, Courtney's mom passed away from cancer when she was younger. I don't really remember my Aunt Ellen because I was about 5 when she passed away.

They were talking about how Aunt Ellen was there for Aunt Beth when she gave birth. I think it's sad that Courtney won't have the experience of having her mother nearby to help out.

I remember a few years back, I took out some old family Christmas videos to watch of my family. That particular year was one of the hardest I think, at least by the voice of my Aunt Beth, it seemed a little emotional. They were handing out little angels that someone made for each person in the family as a remembrance of Aunt Ellen. At least that's what I saw them doing. I think some people were crying too.

See? I don't have all cheery memories. I do have a lot of cheery memories, but some have been quite sad. I'm sure we all have memories like these.

Who knows, I might have made you shed a tear by having you read this. But it's Christmas Eve and I was remembering these things, so I figured I would share before I forgot. As sad as some of this seems, I want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas.

And I pray that all who may be traveling either tonight or tomorrow or whenever will have a safe drive or however you're traveling.

No comments: