Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Old friends, new me

Recently, a friend found me on Facebook and became my friend. I haven't seen this person in about 4 years, so I was surprised even though once in a while I still get emails from them. I remember the first time I met my friend, Sarah.

I was on my first mission trip to Sun Valley Indian School in Arizona and we were driving. After lunch one day, everyone switched around seating arrangements and my best friend Becky and I went to a different van. When we got in, the driver who is Sarah's husband, Roy, introduced us to everyone in the car. "You must be Becky and Chelsea. Hi, I'm Roy. This is Sarah. And that's Zach, Austin, and Noah."

I have some really good memories of this family. One time there was a wooden spoon fight between a kid on our trip and Sarah. That was pretty funny. But there are more serious memories that I can think back on. One time when Sarah's family came to visit, my cousin, Becky, our friend Amber, and I stayed in the basement. We were all talking in the kitchen until it got very late and then when we went to bed, us girls in the basement were talking about what we had just discussed. Two of decided that we wanted to accept Christ into our hearts. So my cousin Stephanie went to get Sarah. I remember Sarah being so excited about this. I was excited too, but I didn't want anyone at church knowing I had accepted Christ into my heart. I thought it would be embarrassing.

Now I'm sitting here thinking about that memory. I've changed a lot since then. Now I'll gladly shout it out to the world. I love Jesus Christ!!!!! I'm not embarrassed anymore.

I'm sitting here thinking about how much I've changed in 4 or 5 years. I'm not who I was. Ok, I'm still pretty obnoxious at times, but spiritually I'm at a different level. I have to wonder if my friends realize that. I wonder if they realize how much of a Jesus freak I am now compared to when I last saw them.

I saw a picture of the family and their kids are getting so big. Last time I saw them, they were so young and now they're growing up. But so I am I guess. I bet I look pretty different too.

You know thinking about these memories makes me smile. A few minutes ago, I was playing Solitaire on my computer and I just started smiling for no reason. I think I was thinking about my mission trip memories.

No comments: