Monday, December 29, 2008

Welcome to my generation

Me, me, me. Let's talk about me. Let's do what I want to do. What about me? Does this sound like you?

My school's newspaper had an article in it today about this generation being more narcissistic, self-centered, and egotistical than past generations. Not to criticize the paper or anything, but I don't believe much of what is written here. Yes, we can all be a little self-centered at times, but not all of us our completely self-centered. There was a quiz that I took in the paper as well and I scored as the least bit self-centered.

I guess it could be the fact that I'm not living for my own purposes anymore, I'm living for what God wants. Afterall, it's His way or the highway. I'll choose his way. Has our generation really come down to this? Another reason I'm probably not so self-centered is because I don't have much self-confidence or self-esteem. I don't like the idea of generation me. It should be generation God. Or something on that track. I don't want it to be all about me. How do you feel about this?

Not to be totally criticizing the CHS newspaper or anything because I really enjoy reading it, but some things just really bother me. For instance, there is an article on hookah smoking. It made me so angry. Now I understand why my mom thinks that our paper shouldn't be talking about these issues. The paper talks about drugs, sex, and whatever else is going wrong with our generation. I'm kinda glad that they've censored the paper now. They shouldn't be putting these things in here even if it's just information for us. Who knows what these articles could be encouraging? For crying out loud they have these so called "hookah bars" in the next town over for high school and college students. There is something wrong here. We need to do something! Where to start? Prayer is the best place to start.

This is from a blog I wrote on Battlecry from March of 2007. More than ever, I hate the school newspaper. It has gone down the toilet over the past couple of years. This year has been the worst. I'm not really here to talk about the paper though.

Me. It's all about me. Let's talk about me. Let's do what I want to do. What about me?

I believe this more than ever now. This generation can be pretty self-centered. I'm more God-centered. Is that a bad thing? I prefer to go God's way and not my own way.

This generation is pretty messed up. I don't think our parents know how to deal with it. It's nothing they ever had to deal with. We live in a generation full of technology. Do our parents understand most of that technology? Ask my mom about computers or how to use her phone. Not all parents know.

I wish more people were more into God and His plan for us. In my youth group, I think mostly everyone pays attention to the lessons. Either that or they appear to be paying attention. There are one or two that are doing homework or texting friends.

Ok. I have a question. Why are you at youth group if you are more interested in texting your friends or doing your homework. Oh we have to be there. No, you don't. Or at least you shouldn't have to be there. If you've got other things to do, then go do those things. You're probably just wasting your own time and the youth pastor's time by being there.

My band director expects all of us to make time to practice. How do you make time? I've always wondered that. I don't make time for band. It's not a top priority like my teacher expects it to be. Like I tell everyone, it's just a hobbie for me; something to keep me out of trouble (not that I'm a troublemaker). On the other hand, I make sure I get my homework done on Wednesday nights before youth group. It's a top priority. I have to go. No one forces it on me. I just have that desire in my heart to go to youth group.

The idea of a bunch of kids coming into youth group, sitting down, and then start texting all their friends, really bothers me. Why are you in youth group if you're not going to pay attention? That's a waste of time. I don't have that problem with a bunch of kids doing it, but like I said, I know kids in my youth group that do it. One or two kids not paying attention isn't bad I guess, but I would think if you're in youth group, you should probably be more focused on that than your homework or texting your friends.

Now don't think I'm the perfect Christian. I'm not. No one's perfect. Hey if practicing makes perfect and no one's perfect, then why practice? I tried to tell that one to my band director once. In youth group sometimes, I don't always pay attention. Sometimes I'm really obnoxious and I like to joke around. But for the most part I'm there and paying attention because I want to get something out of the lesson. I want to grow spiritually.

I don't even know how to text. Maybe I was born into the wrong generation. I don't text on my phone at all. I have before, but I stink at it. I know of youth pastors who are really fast texters. And this is coming from a youth, but I guess I have better things to worry about. I can't text. Is there something wrong with me?

What would Jesus do? Would he be texting in youth group? I don't think he would. If you're texting, are you paying attention to what is being said? Jesus listens and this is a reason why I don't think he would be texting in youth group.

Welcome to my generation I guess. It's full of texting and other technology that the older adults don't know how to use.

No comments: