Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Friends or Family

Who would you choose to believe? Let me give you a situation for this.

Say your family went to a dinner of some sort that the high school was putting on that your sibling was in, but you didn't go because you had other things to do. Then you come to school on Monday and at least two of your friends tell you that your family was incredibly rude at the dinner. You go home and ask your family, and they don't believe it. And you don't even believe that your family would be rude. You go to school the next day and you ask your friends who told you this, how they knew it and they say that the girl waiting the table asked the director who was sitting at that table number. Who would you believe?

I'm at a fork in the road for this. This is a true situation that my family is having to deal with right now. We're not really sure why this is happening. By the way, I choose to believe my family.

I don't believe my family would be rude at such an event. They might criticize something later at home, but they won't say it to the faces of those at the dinner. I know that for a fact because I've experienced my parents doing that before. One thing you have to understand is that only two people at that table had been to that dinner. The rest of my family that went were new to the whole thing.

You might wonder why I choose to believe my family over my friends. I asked one of my old youth pastors Lindsay who she would choose and she said her family because in the end they're the only ones who won't turn their back on you. And if we don't have any friends, we have family and that's it.

Friends are gonna leave. That's such a true statement especially as we move away to college and stuff. Friends back stab each other all the time. Oh the memories I have of that.

Family will never leave you. No matter what you do or how bad you screw up, they won't leave you.

Does the Prodigal Son ring a bell to anyone? Do you know the story? If you don't, it's ok, I'll summarize it, but I think you should go to the Bible if you want all the details.

There was a man with two sons. The younger wanted his inheritance right away and soon after his father gave it to him, the younger son left the house. After he spent all his money, the country he was in had a famine, and he got to the point of being very needy. He got a job feeding pigs in a field and he was so hungry that he wanted to eat the slop that he fed the pigs. He decided to go back to his father. His father saw him coming from a long distance and was so happy, he ran to his son and hugged and kissed him. The father treated him like royalty.

It goes on from there, but like I said you'll have to go read it to get the full details.

So the younger son really messed up right? But when he came home, his family was still there for him.

Friends? Yeah, they're temporary (no offense to anyone at all). Family? Yeah they're permanent and will never leave you.

Friends or family? You choose. I know some will choose friends while others will choose their family. It's your choice and I can't change your choice, but I can give you my opinion and my outlook on life.

Who would you choose?

No comments: