Wednesday, December 24, 2008

It's beginning to smell a lot like Christmas

Isn't that how the song goes? Haha.

Well tonight is a busy night in my house. We're having family over tomorrow, so we're pretty busy. Or at least my mom is. She is downstairs cooking up a bunch of stuff. She started the lasagna around the time I ate dinner around 7:30ish. She currently has these little sausage things in a sauce (it's tradition in the family) and she's thawing the turkey. She was making broccoli stuff earlier. She also just finished her pretzel jello salad. Basically she's busy.

I was down there a little while ago helping out to the best of my ability. My job was to make the sugar cookies. I used all her sugar cookies last week at youth group, so I promised that the next time she made them, I would help. I like to cut out the cookies. It's like a puzzle.

Anyways, you can probably imagine what my house smells like with all this good stuff in it. It smells so good. Tomorrow will be even better.

Normally we would have Christmas at my Aunt Ann's house, but last year, she was living up north, so we started the tradition of having it at my house. She has moved back, but since she lives a little ways out of town, we're having Christmas at my house again.

I have so many good memories of Christmas. Both with my family and youth group. Parties with my family are always memorable. It's fun to see all of my mom's side of the family that I don't get to see on an almost regular basis. It's usually a lot of my older older cousins. The ones in their 20s and older.

Youth group. So many memorable things. One time, we had a party at our Sunday school teachers' house and we watched A Christmas Story and our one Sunday school teacher fast forwarded through the part where the kid yells Fudge. The kid didn't really say fudge, but it's not like he was going to say that on the movie, but still our Sunday school teacher fast forwarded through it. There have also been the ladies Christmas tea that usually the youth group girls go to because guys aren't invited.

Then there was the time when we were all at my Aunt Ann's house decorating cookies. Yeah, don't let the guys mess with the frosting. Guys+frosting=a huge mess of brown gunk. They turned the frosting brown. It was ridiculous. Well at least we could color the horses the right way then.

A few years ago, we had a Christmas party for our youth pastors, which involved a scavenger hunt, which one of our girls absolutely loved. It led our youth pastors to the presents we got them. It was remote-control cars. I'm never going shopping with those boys again. They were crazy and I was the only girl that went shopping to get the cars. We got them these cars because we had heard from our youth pastor a time in his life when he wanted a remote-control car for Christmas and he got it, but then his dad and brother returned it to get a video game system or something. We felt bad, so we decided to get them both cars. It was really cool because while one car was in one room and the other was in a different room, they could both be moved by one remote because they were both on the same channel.

Last year I made a video for Christmas. I'm not sure if I will this year though. I haven't made my Thanksgiving video yet and I'm still not sure if I'll make that one. It makes remembering things easier. That is if you don't have a photographic memory like I seem to.

The thing with my memory is that I only remember youth group things really well. I guess it's just really important to me. I love memories. And I'm thankful God gave me many places to store my memories.

No comments: